Ideas for family trip

Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Ideas for family trip

We are 7 siblings and siblings in law in our late 60s and early 70s. We take a group trip every two years. We have been to the Outer Banks, Costa Rica, Santa Fe and Tuscany on our last 4 trips. We are looking for new ideas. We are all in good condition and like a vacation with both active pursuits and relaxation. Culture and good food and wine are musts. The time of year depends largely on where we decide to go. We've all traveled widely and are looking for a place none of us has been. Europe (particularly Greece), Canada, South America or the US are all possiblilies.

Anybody have ideas - we would welcome some food for thought. Thanks in advance.

MaryAnn
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:45 AM

Greece could be lovely--Athens and then a tour of some of the Islands? And the Delphi peninsula.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:33 AM

In the states, Charleston, SC would be a place to consider.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 08:17 AM

There is a Travel Tips and Ideas Forum which would be perfect for your question, as it spans continents. You can leave this question here, but I suggest you add it to that forum, too.

Since you mentioned good wine, have any of you been to California or Oregon? Both offer cities, nature, food and wine in abundance
Jun 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM

Oregon is a great idea. I love the Pacific Northwest.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM

How lovely.

Chile springs to mind. Plenty of wine and activity in Chile and it's easy to travel there because Chileans themselves travel a lot. You also have your pick of climate: desert, lake, or mountains or seashore.

I haven't been to Argentina but it would be on my list for similar reasons.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:01 AM

SanFrancisco, with a drive down the coast.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions - they are great ideas. I will indeed post on the travel tips and ideas - as long as I have been a poster here and on the Europe board, I was unaware of that forum.

Wonderful suggestions. Some or all of us have been to San Francisco, Napa and Sonoma and the coast, Oregon, Charleston, Chile and Argentina. And loved them all! Greece is a place we've not been - it is hard to find 70-something travelers who haven't been to a lot of places.

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond with such thoughtful destinations.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:04 PM

Vancouver and Vancouver Island are really beautiful.
Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:06 PM

Alaska, either via cruise ship or driving yourself. You'll probably have to work harder to find the good food/wine but I'm sure there are some decent options.

Montreal

Quebec City

Croatia

New Orleans
Jun 3rd, 2014, 06:40 PM

Victoria, BC.
Jun 4th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the fabulous ideas. I know they are fabulous because, again, some or all of us have been to each of them. Although I am not sure about Victoria. I'll add it to our list.
Jun 4th, 2014, 02:07 PM

I think you have already found your next destination - Greece. If that is the place no one has been and everyone wants to go then go there. As someone else mentioned combine it with an island cruise. It ticks all the boxes.

As for future trips just FYI wine is produced in all 50 US states, some better than others.

Other suggestions - New Zealand, South Africa, or perhaps an Asian destination. How lucky you are to have so many choices!

Search this Thread