Idaho, what is there to do and see.

Jun 30th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Idaho, what is there to do and see.

I told my husband he could throw a dart at a map and I could devise a trip to that location. (Never knew a place that did not have something of interest) The dart landed in Idaho. Hmmm, this one may be a challenge.
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:21 AM

My sister is in the process of buying a house in boise, Idaho. She says you can raft down the river in the middle of town, go hiking or boating in the midst of awesome scenery, or visit some small, but really nice museums.

Good luck!
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:33 AM
stjohnbound

If you love nature and lots of gorgeous scenery, you will love Idaho. We drove through Idaho from Yellowstone and loved every minute of it. We drove scenic routes through Salmon and Stanley and took a side trip to Sun Valley and Haley. Then off to Boise which is a great city where I certainly wouldn't mind living. Also stopped in Idaho Falls (I think) before going into Utah. That's where Evil Knievel tried jumping over a canyon or a gorge. All I can say is he's crazy...I saw the place! I'm sure you'll enjoy Idaho.

Jun 30th, 2004, 07:56 AM

I would book a 4 to 5 day float trip down the Middle Fork of the salmon River. It will take you through thr "River of no return" wilderness area and you will see some of the most beautiful country anywhere. The fishing is also great.
Also plan to spend some time in the Sun Valley area.
Northern Idaho (the panhandle) is also very nice with many lakes and beautiful golf courses.
Have fun!
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:59 AM

A point of clarafication, Evil made his jump in Twin Falls, not Idaho Falls.
Jun 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
stjohnbound

Thanks dewars, knew it didn't look right when I typed it!

Jun 30th, 2004, 11:14 AM

You can play semi mountain cowboy for a week or so. There are outfitters that do fishing in the mountians on horseback trips. Stay in a remote area in wall tents, go riding or fishing to your hearts content. Crystal clear mountain streams and lakes. Lots of wildlife (not the tavern variety). Hang around the campfire, have someone cook and clean up for you. Fresh trout....yummmm.
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:07 PM
mms

Lived in Idaho Falls for a bit...would not choose to vacation there at all though. The panhandle area is gorgeous!
Jun 30th, 2004, 10:35 PM

My brother and I did a fun trip driving from Spokane, WA to Missoula,MT and back in three days. It is only about 200 miles.We stopped in lots of little towns in Idaho and spent the night in Missoula, Montana. There is one main highway. It is easy to follow. Maybe this would be more fun than just hanging out in Idaho the entire time.
Jul 1st, 2004, 05:04 AM

McCall is a fun little town. The complete opposite of McCall is the Sun Valley area, where all the Hollywood and tres trendy people hang out.

Idaho is all about nature. White water rafting, hiking, etc
Jul 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I knew Fodorites would come up with something good.
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:20 AM

Ever been to a rodeo? The Snake River Stampede in Nampa is one of the best in the country.

JackOneill is right; Idaho is mostly about nature: McCall, Sun Valley, Coeur d'Alene - all stunningly beautiful areas. And whitewater.... It's been almost 20 years, but I still get butterflies in my stomach when I recall a 5 day trip on the Lower Salmon.
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:58 AM

Ditto the comments on going to McCall. It's a beautiful mountain town. I've also done a 4 day float trip down the Salmon River and slept on the beautiful beaches that this river creates all along the way. At one point we even stopped to pick up rubies that were on a curve in the river. These weren't jewelry quality stones, but they've made a great, unique souvenir of this trip. I was caught off guard by the beauty of Idaho. I'd go again in a flash!
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:08 AM
Kal

Aloohaaa,
Anybody ever been to Sandpoint, ID?

We have some relatives and friends who moved up there and rave about it.

It just may move up on our "to do" list.
Comments?
Jul 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM

Never been personally, but know a few who've gone to Sandpoint; never returned. It's beautiful country, but favored by folks who like to wear white sheets, swastikas, and/or shave their heads.
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:33 PM

Sandpoint,Idaho is a really beautiful town. It sits on one of the largest lakes in Idaho and has a beautiful city park with swimming beaches and lots of grassy areas. The town has some great and unique shops and is home to Coldwater Creek, for the shopping ladies! Also nearby is Sweitzer Ski area for those who love winter sports.
You are about a lttle more than an hour from the Canadian border where you will find many recreational areas and golfing. Less than and hour away is the Idaho city of Coeur D'Alene known as a great summer destination, on a large and beautiful lake. The Panhandle of Idaho is just gorgeous and you will find many nice places to visit.
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:21 AM

beachbum-
How good of you to comment on something you don't know about and an area you've never visited. You should know, but probably don't, that the folks in the panhandle of Idaho truly DON'T like the handfull of bigots, skinheads and Neonazis who thought they could hide out in their part of the state and bring their fascist attitudes with them. I was standing in line at a restaurant in McCall one day with friends of ours from McCall when the topic of some of the hate groups in the panhandle came up. As we talked, my friends commented how tough it was for the good people of that region because these evil people had moved to their area and the whole area was suffering. Some seem to think that everyone in those communities carries the same ludite attitude, when the vast majority are good, hard working people who don't share any of the attitudes of the skinheads, etc. A man standing next to us overheard the conversation and thanked my friend. He told her that he could go elsewhere in the U.S. and tell people he was from Coeur d'Alene and people---complete strangers, would assume he was a neonazi!

That region is some of the most beautiful in all of the lower 48 and the good people of this region don't deserve the rep that the skinheads have created.
Jul 3rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
Kal

Whoa, B'bummer!
I guarantee ya' my relatives and friends only use sheets to sleep on and they are probably bald now but not of their own choosing.
Still sounds like a nice summer place to beat the Valley heat in Nor Cal.
Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:49 PM

If you're driving through SE Idaho, stop in Swan Valley for a square ice cream cone.
Jul 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I have lived in Idaho Falls for 13 years, and there is plenty to do. However, unlike big cities where neon signs point you to attraction sites, Idaho is a great place to find amazing wilderness that has only been seen by a handful of people. Depending on what part of the year you come in, I would recommend going to natural hot springs (here's a link: http://www.idahohotsprings.com/), visiting Hayden Lake near Coeur d'Alene, hiking Table Rock or Devil's Staircase (actually in Wyoming, but you get there through Driggs, Idaho a small, dynamic ski community at the base of Targhee Ski Resort), fishing at Henry's Lake (a link: http://www.idahoparks.org/parks/henrys.html). Finally, I would not miss out on the sterotype of Idaho, and be sure to eat your fill of 'free taters for out-of-staters' in Blackfoot at the Potato Expo (link: http://www.ida.net/users/potatoexpo/index.html). We are no New York, but I know loads of people who hated Idaho when they lived here growing up, then moved back here to raise a family. Keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread