Search

ID in CA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ID in CA

A friend and I are leaving for San Francisco in about a week's time. We're really looking forward to trying out the restaurants and mooching around a few bars.

We're both 35, but guide books seem to recommend that we carry ID with us when we go out so we can order alcohol. Is this really necessary? I'd say we both look our age (!). Thing is, I don't have a driving licence and I'm reluctant to carry my passport around if we're going to bars and clubs. What would locals recommend?

Many thanks. Sam
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You just never know.You'd probably be OK, but if you're asked for ID and you don't have it,then you won't be allowed in or served with alcohol.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Pis_Pistofferson

You can use your passport or military ID.
Sometimes the California state ABC (alcoholic beverage control) performs random checks and will severely penalize restaurants / bars not in compliance. Some have 100% ID policies. Bring your passport.

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM

You can use a money belt for your passport in case you really need it.

I don't think you'll need an ID in a restaurant. Nobody asked our childrens' IDs when we ordered for everyone, even though one son's girlfriend is barely 21 and looks young.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Blimey. In the UK it just isn't necessary (or compulsory). Looks like I'll either have to forgo the bars or risk loosing the passport.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Bars/bartenders are not required to check ID...They are "authorized to check documentary evidence"...They can refuse to serve if in their eyes it is obvious that the "customer" is not 21y/o.I havent been carded for almost 5 years, and those around me tell me I look very "young"(I'm 26)....It's up to you.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM
SAB

It's always a good idea to carry some form of identification with you anyway, even if you don't need it to get into a club. ID's are usually not an issue in restaurants, but as a previous poster has stated some clubs, check all ID's just to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Some places will serve you no problem.

Some have very strict "look under 35 we card, no exceptions"

And some just card everybody

But don't worry too much - if a certain pub or bar won't let you in - there will be one down the street that only cards those who look under 25. You might not get into THE bar you want - but you can get into A bar.

(But if you do look nearer 25 than 35, you really will need a picture ID.)
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Sam..Not sure why you are "risking" losing your passport....Wont it be safe in a pocket?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:30 PM

This is something to complain about? Dang! When you're my age, you look forward to being carded. Someone in a class I was taking told the group (of middle aged ladies) that she was carded at the grocery store when buying wine! We all pounced on her, demanding to know which store and which checker so we could go buy a bottle of wine and get carded! Sigh! Enjoy it while it lasts!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM

CA ABC can be very hard-nosed and won't hesitate to come down heavily on bars that don't stringently card patrons. Even at clubs where they know me well, I get carded. And I look way over 21. We can't say with certainty on any given day, in any given city, that you will or won't be carded. But it is possible, and if you're asked and DON'T have the ID, you won't get into that establishment. End of story. You slink over to the next club and try to get in there.

If you have military ID, bring it to the clubs. You must have some kind of government-issued ID, don't you?! If nothing else, the passport is fine. Just have a secure place to stash it.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM

BeachBoi, even I, a woman of "certain age" know that no passport is safe after a couple of bars
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Oh, Orcas, I feel your pain

When I got carded in a bar (my son was playing that night) I even posted a report on Fodor's!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

It's just that losing a passport is BIG issue and would take a large chunk out of holiday to put right, especially in a security-conscious place like the US. While travelling around Europe, the advice has always been to leave the passport at home, preferably in a safe!

Unlike most countries, we have no government-issued ID, and the issue of personal liberty is a big one for us. And most wouldn't have military ID either.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Faina........Which song would that be that you are singing???
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well this was recently & in Seattle not California, but some bars card EVERYone, they don't care how old or young you look.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Oh, no, what makes you think that? I never sing in public, don't confuse me with Kal
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Hello Sam, about a year ago I and some family members and friends went to a local restaurant and ordered drinks before dinner. They required all of us to show ID. I was shocked. Believe me, we all looked way over 21, LOL. One woman had not brought her purse with her and consequently did not have any ID on her and so she was not served, not even a glass of wine. I did find out later however that this restaurant had gotten in trouble for serving alcohol to a few minors at one of their other restaurants so maybe the ABC made this requirement part of their "punishment".

BTW, it is always good to have ID on your person. If you are injured etc. it is good the authorities will know who you are etc. We had a friend who was attacked and hit over the head and evidently robbed and then pulled into an alley. The authorities had no idea who he was.

When he did not return home from his trip his family was in a panic of course. It took a week for them to discover he was in a morque as a "John Doe". Horrible situation.

In California those that do not drive can still get a California ID (no drivers license ID) through the state. Can you do that in England? I know those in Italy are issued ID cards and are expected to have them with them at all times. Surely there must be some way you could get an ID document from your government? Otherwise you would probably want to keep your passport with you, but I understand your concern about carrying it with you throughout the evening. Best wishes.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Faina......Dear, you said "after a few bars".......OH! I GET IT!! You meant "bars" as in drinking!! At first I thought "soap", NAH, that didnt fit....Maybe,,, I need.....a.....BAR.........
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi there. No, there's no such thing as ID cards in the UK - although the government are discussing it now, but that's a different and rather thorny question. If you need to prove your identity here, you use either your passport or your driving licence, if you have one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -