ID for grandkids

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ID for grandkids

We will be flying with grandkids (9, 11, and 13) for the first time. Do we need any special ID for them? They have different last names from us.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM

When my Mom took my daughter w/o me on a flight, I sent along her birth certificate and a notorized letter that she had permission from me to take her. (Never had to show it) I was sure she didn't need it,but I figured that it would be my luck for Mom to run into a problem.
I also sent my daughter's insurance card and letter of authorization to treat in emergency ,again,just in case.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Hi jim, when I have flown with my grandsons they have always had their school student ID card. I also have had a letter from their parents giving me permission to take them on the flight. Also the medical insurance information plus a notorized letter signed by their parents giving me the right to authorize medical procedures. Keep that in my residence also so if..just in case the parents are out of town and something happens to the grandsons all basis are covered. If you are taking an "outside of the US" flight I would have a notorized letter from your grandchildren's parents giving you permission to take them on this flight. Sort of like having auto insurance. You probably will not need it but if you do..you will have it.
Have a fun trip..travelling with grandchildren is awesome!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Kids under 18 don't officially need an ID, but as you anticipated, you might be questioned. I agree with klr's strategy fo a notarized consent to travel and to authorize medical treatment. This is sometimes even required of a parent traveling with kids and not the other parent. If the kids have some sort of photo ID (school ID, passport) it wouldn't hurt to bring it along. And tell the kids not to joke around if airline staff ask them about your travel plans.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Yes, I would advise the notarized statement.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Last name does not enter into this at all. Lots of parents even have different last names than their kids (I do).

TSA guy told us (when son lost his ID at age 19) that those under 18 do not need ID to fly. If by any chance they have passports, even if flight is within US, bring those - our 15 year old brings her when she travels with us and it just speeds things up.

But the advice about notarized permission, medical info, etc you got above is good - that is what airline, travel agent and cruise people told my mother when she took our daughter on a cruise.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. We have gathered up the medical cards, school ID's, and notarized statements. I think we are good to go.