I Need Help Planning My Glacier Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I would like to visit Glacier N.P. this summer. I have about 10 days. I'm coming from Fla., so I'm not sure where I should fly in and out of. As of now I have no plans. I love to hike and horseback ride. I'm open to any other suggestions on activities that you may have. What would be the best way to plan this trip?Is 10 days too much? Should we go other places too, or focus on Glacier only? Does anyone have any feedback on lodging? Hikes?
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM

Whatever you decide to do, you MUST go to the Canadian side of the park. I think it's called Internation Peace Park. Stay in the town of Waterton for a few day. Ten days is not too long. Take your time and spend a day driving through the "Going to the Sun Road". It's rated as one of the most beautiful roads in the world. And it is! As a matter of fact, I said to my husband this morning, that I thought that Waterton was one of the most beautiful places we've been. And we've been to several really beautiful places!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM

Fly into Kalispell.

I would hike the Highline Trail to
Granite Chalet and do the side hike there also. Spend one night there. If this Chalet interest you, consider Sperry Chalet also.

Drive the Going to the Sun Road

Stay a couple of nights @ Lake Mcdonald Lodge. Have Fondue one afternoon there.

Stay a couple of nights @ Glacier Park Lodge

Stay @ Waterton Lodge and have Tea on afternoon.

Take a Red Bus tour one afternoon

Lots of hiking to be done in Glacier
various water options also

checkout the NPS website

www.nps.gov

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:47 AM

we hiked 8 miles to the granite chalet this summer. beautiful!! we stayed one night which was a mistake. two nights is preferable. we walked out the 4 mile downhill trail, then hitched a ride back to our car. mcdonald lodge is dramatic. apgar village is touristy and fun. there is a motel on the lake which is reasonable, simple. guests sit in chairs on the porch, watching the sunset.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:26 AM
AlJ

Hi

Here's a link to what we know about Glacier. We spent 6 days there and loved it.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/glacier_np.htm

I really enjoyed Swiftcurrent Motor Lodge. Several trail heads there and a beautiful spot. Its near the Many Glacier hotel which is also in a beautiful spot. Lots of that in Glacier.

I'm told the horseback ride to Cracker Lake is very nice. We did hike to Grinnell Glacier and thought it was beautiful. There's a link to pictures from there on our site. I tried to show what the trail and views look like.

There's other trail heads in that area too.

You didn't say when. July - August are good times. There can still be snow on the higher trails in June and some in mid-July.

You're in for a treat. I'll let others tell you about the area. You've already got some good suggestions.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your imput. I did try to get a resevation at Sperry Lodge, but there was no availability in July or Aug. I feel bad about that because it looks really great. I wish I had looked sooner. Any other thoughts folks?
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Try Granite Chalet as well, it is a more primitive, hike there is worth it.