Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I need help on Yellowstone/Teton Itenerary Planning...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and my wife will be flying into Billings, MT either 9/3/04 late evening or 9/4/04 early afternoon. We will be departing to go back home on 9/12/04. That gives us at least 8 nights on the trip. We would like to see Yellowstone and Teton National Parks, the Beartooth Highway (since our travel will bring us in this direction)and anything else that time will permit. We will be staying in West Yellowstone (Do not like the rustic and overpriced type of accomodations in Yellowstone), and would also like to spend about two nights in the Teton area. We have never traveled to this part of the country and are unfamiliar with the surroundings and distances. I would like to make the most of this trip and see as much as I can, while using the time wisely without backtracking and missing other sights. Can anyone offer advice on how I can do this and offer an itenerary?
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Frommer's has an excellent book devoted to the two parks, entitled (naturally) "Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks." I recommend you start you research with a copy of it. It includes a lot info and sources for addition info.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I bought the book today. It is very informative! I am still looking forward to hearing from those of you that can provide some advice based on my information.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Wise decision. You're off to a good start in your planning.
Next, I would suggest you rethink your rejection of staying in Yellowstone. The park is large and you'll be wasting a lot of time driving back and forth from West Yellowstone. If you stay, say, 4-5 nights in Yellowstone, I recommend that you stay in two different facilities there.
The Teton is much smaller and a single place will do fine. I recommend either Jackson Lake Lodge or Signal Mountain Lodge.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM

PS: You're going a great time of the year....The crowds have left....The weather is great....and the fall foliage has started to emerge.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:03 PM

You can also try the Wyoming Tourism Website.
www.wyomingtourism.org
They have a phone number you can call to get an info packet on the state and they also have coupons for hotels, packages and many other neat things.
Enjoy Yellowstone and Teton. Wyoming is a beautiful state.