Search

I need Boston help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Henly Gold

I need Boston help

We have never been to Boston and will be passing through for 1 night/ 2 days this summer. We are not really looking to do any major sightseeing. We would like to stay in a central location where we can walk around to rest's, shops, etc. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions? Also, is there anything we really must see or do in Boston?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Suzy

Please do a search on these boards for "Boston," you'll get lots of tips on everything from transportation to tourist attractions.

For a hotel, I'd advise you to just use Priceline and bid for a 3- or 4-star hotel in the Copley/Back Bay area. Everything there is convenient and nice.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:55 AM
KenCT

If you use Priceline as Suzy suggested, you'll most likely end up at the Park Plaza, which is well-located but about which there are many complaints. See biddingfortravel.com

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Suzy

Recent bidders have also won the Radisson ad the Hliton. If you're afraid of the Park Plaza, bid for a 4-star, you'll probably get the Colonnade or the Westin at Copley Place.

The Park Plaza does have some rooms that are small or dingy, but for $85 or less, it's still a good deal! The OP specified that they wanted a convenient location, not a deluxe accomodation.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Wendy

I was just in Boston earlier this month. We used priceline and chose Back Bay area and got the Westin which was fantastic (location and hotel). I would certainly do this - priced at $80 I think?

If you stay in the Back Bay area you can walk through the Prudential Center- a large shopping complex filled with restaurants, shops, etc. Also you are close to Newberry street which is a great area to explore.

If your not looking for major sightseeing I'm not sure what to suggest as far as a must see. My recommendation is to give us an idea of what interests you have. Also get your hotel and then we can tell you whats around it.

I really enjoy the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isbella Gardner Stewart Museum (sp?), also the various historical places on the freedom trail, Fanuil Hall, the north end, Boston Commons and Public park, ect.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:16 AM
jo

I live in boston and if its nice weather the harbor cruises are very nice especially at sunset. They have a variety of different ones of different lengths and they narrate. Its inexpensive and a nice relaxing time. Also jus twalking around the north end, which is very Italian in nature with lots of cafes and restaurants and little grocery s hores is a great place to hang out and Beacon Hill is a favorite place that i take out of towners. Its narrow streets up a hill with beautiful 18th century brick homes. People always love it. Boston is very walkable but if you get tired you can jump on the subway, its safe and gets you almost anywhere of interest,albeit sometimes slowly. if you have more questions email me at the above address. ive lived here a long time so i am well informed.