Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I love trolls, idiots and the terminally miserable...

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:54 PM
me

After visiting some other travel forums, I have to say I really love this one because of the "personality" it has.

In other forums, people ask, "What's the best time of year to go to Topeka?" Typically, the answers will be something vanilla like "spring." Here, however, you'll get some useful answers, but you'll also get the maniacs who rant , "Why in the world would anyone want to go to Topeka?" Or "I was in Topeka once and everyone there is a racist pig." Or "Never!"

I love it! Keep up the good work!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Your welcome

I'm glad you like it! We try to please everyone.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Lickin'MyLips

Well, people who watch NASCAR will deny it, but they're waiting for a good crash.

And Fodorites are just hanging around waiting for a good, old fashioned, bare-knuckles smack-down brawl. It adds spice to our pitiful lives in our pitiful cubicles.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Greg

to Lickin, OK here you go, you ignorant fool. Some of the best NASCAR races that I have seen did not involve crashes or the crashes just interupted the good racing. OUCH quit jabbin till I'm done with my rant. Go Tony Stewart. OK Ive really opened my self up now hit with your best shots.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Lickin'MyLips

Oh, dear, Greg. When I see NASCAR highlights on the news, I see cars crashing. Flying through the air and all. You never see highlights of cars just following each other around the track, lap after lap.

Other sports aren't like that. In basketball, it's the dunk. In baseball, it's the home run. In football, it's the runback or the bomb. But in Nascar, it's the crash. Sad but true.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:44 PM
shewuzrunninrough

YeeHaw! NASCAR trolls!
Who says it’s only car races we watch for the carnage? Boxing? Bobsleds? Ski Jumping? And for every Immaculate Reception you see in football replays, how many John Madden “pows” have you seen first? My wife watches figure skating for the gracefulness, I watch it for the falls. I personally like NASCAR for the subtle advertising, and for the regional accents, seemingly from every part of Oklahoma.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:29 PM
x

TV Sports highlights show the game and anything extraordinary that may have happened during the game. In baseball they show the home runs, but they also show a beaning. In football they show the touchdowns but they also show a season ending injury. In NASCAR they show the highlights of the race, but they also show a bad accident. That no more means NASCAR fans watch racing for the wrecks than baseball fans watch baseball to see someone get hit in the face by a line drive.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Aha!

But there ARE no highlights in Nascar. Just the dizzying round and round and round and round and round we go. If there's no crash, the sports desk just skips Nascar completely. Really, which lap would you show? Lap 48? No wait! Some guy changed a tire in Lap 178. Let's go with that!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Add the bumpkin factor, and you've really got something a hillbilly could love. Nascar fans are so dumb that they are about the only fans willing to sit in stands in which a lethal object might hit them in the head. Even baseball fans have more sense than that!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:18 PM
x

What's a broken bat flying into the stands or a line drive foul ball, chopped liver?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Aha!

A broken bat or line drive compared to flaming hunks of auto wreckage? Please. Heck, people try to CATCH baseballs that fly into the stands. How many Nascar fans try to catch tires coming at them at 200 mph? How many baseball fans have been killed in the last year compared to race car fans? No comparison.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:45 PM
DamnYank

Hey Aha!

"flaming hunks of auto wreckage" for some reason just hit me right and the end result = ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh geez, now I'm gonna get flamed by somebody who knew somebody that lost a loved one due to being the final resting spot of "flaming hunks of auto wreckage". I apologize. Aha's description is what has me in stiches, not the pain and suffering of others. And nobody should take the time to sue me. I don't own anything!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:00 PM
x

"Flaming hunks of auto wreckage??" Since you seem the expert, for 50 points, when was the last time a NASCAR fan was killed by "flaming hunks of auto wreckage"?

You been drinking?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:06 PM
answerman

TO: Aha!
Please be advised that I did some investigating and very serious research to try to find an answer to your question "how many fans at a NASCAR race
try to catch tires coming at them at 200 miles per hour?" I was quite impressed to find out that thr number is now down to only 80% of the people at the event!! Note that this is down from 85% just 5 years ago.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Aha!

Seriously, I live in Northern Virginia, and in the last year or so, we have had two incidents of fans (at least one fan per incident, but I believe one incident was four fans) being killed or grievously injured by flaming hunks of auto wreckage. Interestingly, the victims were not particularly close to the track, but that wreckage can fly really far. They probably had no idea they were gonna die that night until they looked up and saw that big ol' racecar carcass hurtling toward them.

I will note that I do not know if these were officially sanctioned Nascar events; I'm talling about auto racing in general. There was an outcry about how they needed to build walls to prevent this, but they buried the dead fans, and no one cares anymore.

Oh, and I do not know if the wreckage was actually engulfed in flames when it landed on the fans. The fire may have been extinguished by the wind as the wreckage was launched from the track.

So, do I get 50 points per incident, or do I get 50 points for each dead Nascar fan?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Hoo hah

Yippee, I thought this was going to be just another troll about trolls. But Noooooo -- NASCAR bashing. Yayrah.

I live near NASCAR Ground Zero in NC. I've even been to two races. Anyone who claims that the excitement has nothing to do with the potential for crashes is either "flat-stupid" (as they say here) or lying like a Woolworth's rug.

Sure, like they don't slow down to rubber-neck at wrecks on the road either. And people watch boxing just for the skill, hockey just for the grace (hoohah), and football for the passing games. And you go to bullfights for the cape display and Romans watched Christians and lions for the choreography.

If it were possible to guarantee, 100%, that there would be no crashes and no injuries -- maybe lots of padding, guardrails between lanes, bigtime magnets to keep cars on course, computer-driven braking, etc. -- no one would ever go to these races. "Aha!" is absolutely right -- otherwise, it's boring: they go around and around and around and around and around and around andaround and around and around and....

Sure fans like speed, but speed with danger is the thing. The main thing.

The fact that Dale Earnhart (RIP) died in a crash just ups the ante. Lots of sentiment and emotion and a fresh memory of horror and bang-boom "oh jeez no!"

Road-rage as entertainment -- it's all- American!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Rebel Againt Nascar

Now one of the major networks has dumped other sports programming on weekends in favor of Nascar.

That's just great! Now that nonsense is on several hours each weekend.

How did Nascar ever become a sport, anyway? I could run farther and faster than one of those drivers. I could probably do more pushups, too, and I'm a woman, for cryin' out loud.

Did you hear that bridge is a demonstration sport in one of the next olympics? The winter olympics, I believe. Sitting on your big butt playing cards is a winter sport. What next? Freestyle remote control punching? Cocktail plate balancing, with drink? The Nacho relay?

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:32 AM
xxx

I heard Iraq will be unbeatable in the potato sack race.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:36 AM
know the facts first

Hey Rebel against Nascar,

Michael Waltrip runs in the Boston Marathon. Those drivers spend a lot of time pumping iron in the gym to give them and edge over the other guys. Since they are always wearing those logo encrusted uniforms, we never get to see their buff bodies with buldging muscles . . .

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:50 AM
x

Sorry, Aha! No points for you.

Does anyone out there know when the last fan was killed at a NASCAR race? I would guess that it's been several years.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:50 AM
YADAYADA

Who cares if Waltrip runs in the Boston Marathon? The majority of NASCAR Fans are just a bunch of BUBBAS with beer bellies or trailer park white trash and their women have big hair and wear tube tops...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO