Reload this Page >

I love New York, and I'm still going!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:54 PM
cindy

Hello everyone! I have a trip planned for New York City Feb. 2002. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm still going. Hell Yes!! I'm still going!!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:25 PM
metoo

We are still going in December, too!!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Marlena

Great! We'll be here to welcome you and show you a great time.

Marlena
NYC

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 05:36 PM
newyorkfan

I have Broadway tickets, Empire State Building tickets (pre-prchased)and airline tickets to go to New York in October. My husband is saying no-way but I'm there! I love New York and while I'm there, I'll talk and pray to and for the people of New York. I am so sad for all of America today.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Theresa

I'm right there with you. We will be spending our Thanksgiving holiday there. Those who are rethinking their travel plans should consider that while NYC is an international city, there are many industries (theatre, restaurants, hotels, etc)that depend on our tourist dollar to survive. We as Americans need to do what we can to prevent the economy of NYC from slipping.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:24 AM
local

We thank you. New York is not a place for those who are weak, fearful or timid. We've overcome a past President telling us to drop dead in the 70's because of our fiscal problems and we will also overcome this. We will rebuild and be better than before.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:28 AM
waitandsee

waiting to see how things go, have plans to be in n.y. 9/25 for a week, have tickets to see producer's, k.d. lang. celebrating 25th wedding aniversary, figuring the city will still be in a pretty somber mood. wait and see.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:11 AM
sue

I've always dreamed of going to new york, and i still will dream and hope i have the opportunity. i live in canada and its hard to concentrate at work the past few days. i plan to go to a church during my lunch hour and plan to pray for all those effected by this tragedy, especially all the family of lost loved ones. God bless Americal

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Stephanie

I'm supposed to be going to New York on 10/5. Does anyone have an idea if tourist things will be open? I'm not worried about being safe, in fact I've suggested to my travel buddies that we go regardless and see if there is something we can do.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Charlie

Stephanie,

We've already started restoring several things to normal (as normal as it could be after Tues.) This is NYC, the vast majority of activites are outside of the downtown financial district: most of the museums, Broadway, Lincoln Center, the numerous premier shopping districts (upper & lower 5th Ave, Madison, Nolita), the Village etc. The museums reopened today. Broadway is back. Head numbing traffic has returned to Midtown. They're trying to reopen the airports. Anything in downtown Manhattan (south of Canal) will be very difficult or impossible for a long while. The only thing problematic is that the convenient Subway system is partially shutdown.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:24 PM
J

Have trip planned for late Oct and not sure what to do since I'm coming from the other side of the world. Planned to stay in the Village. Have spent the last 3 days horrified and sickened, now moving into mourning. I want to enjoy NY and am scared I will be so overwhelmed with desperate sadness and anger that I won't. I have been so excited about this trip for so long though. I know it won't be the NY I was expecting, but perhaps it will be a wonderful experience anyway?
My heart and thoughts are with everyone in America.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Kevin

Everyone from Cindy to Arthur J,

I live in NY and had to come outside my building for a bomb scare. We had a bout 100 bomb scares in the city today. Anyway, I saw a lot of tourists still enjoying the city, pointing out things with their maps and touring around. The one thing you should realize is that only Lower Manhattan is demolished and/or shut down. The city's a bit strange becuase the rest of Manhattan and the otehr boroughs are operating more or less normally. Except, of course, that nothing is "normal" anymore.

Having lived here for years, I can tell taht the city will have bounced back in a lot of ways by October. Though we'll never fully recover from the human losses we've sustained.

I hope to see you with your maps, finding your way around this still great city.

Kevin.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 01:05 AM
Alan

To anyone planning a trip to New York, for God's sake, GO! It is still one of the most interesting places on this Earth, and to call off a trip there means your letting those b******s win. Remember 99.999% of New York is still there. Enjoy.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 09:54 AM
RB

We've been considering an NYC trip for a long time, and we will definitely go. We had tix to the 1996 Olympics the day after the Centennial Park bombing. We went then, and we will go to NYC now. This is OUR country! Prayers and positive thoughts to all those affected by this event.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 01:52 PM
sandy

We have a trip to NYC planned for Nov and we're still coming . . . I'm with Alan . . . I'm not going to let the b******ds win.

We'll come, we'll have a great time, and we'll pray for the families of those lost.

We in Texas are wearing our colors, flying our flags, giving blood, donating money, and praying for NYC and DC.

Sandy

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Gettingout

I wish I could feel the way most of you do! Some of us here in New York are mourning the loss of loved ones, trying not to jump at the sound of thunder, looking over our shoulders, no longer giving blood, gathering supplies, donating money, flying our flags, contemplating a trip (maybe permanently) North, and are scared sh**less!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 02:55 PM
atlanta

we have tickets to come to nyc on sept 25 and we're undecided but leaning toward coming. two things i would like to know -- will we be able to do the statue of liberty and ellis island as they were very important on my do list. i had also planned to go to the south street seaport area -- can someone let me know if these things are still doable by then? thanks

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 02:58 PM
L

Hard to say at this point. As of now, the whole area below Canal Street is off limits to all but emergency workers and residents.
The 25th is 11 days away, so I would think by then they may just have the area immediately surrounding the World Trade Center closed off and you'd be able to get to South Street Seaport and Battery Park. But it's hard to say for sure.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Joe

Come! I live and work in the 'burbs, but came downtown today for a memorial service. The suburban commuter trains are running, and people are walking around everywhere in the city. You'll be fine here.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 03:37 PM
kathyjones

We are still coming on Sept. 27th and if the person (wait and see) decides not to go, can we buy your tickets to The Producer??? Contact me at [email protected] (use all lower case)
Looking forward to the wonderful city we have always heard about and everyone in California has American Flags everywhere for your tragedy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -