Search

I LOVE Boston!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE Boston!!

I feel terrible! It has been awhile since I logged on to this forum, and I was supposed to write a travel review in JUNE! So much has been going on in my life (including a death in the family) so you will have to forgive me.

I was in Boston at the end of May (came home June 1st I believe). It was so incredible! I had no idea I was going to love it so much ... so much in fact, that I am already planning my trip for next year. I spent 1 week in Toronto and 1 in Boston and I really should have spent 2 weeks in Boston! There was so much to see and do.

Here are my highlights:

Morrison House B&B

This B&B is located about a 2 minute walk from the Davis Square T (LOL! Some of you might remember that I was asking about Taxis at Davis in case I needed one to get to the B&B - I would have been embarrassed if I hailed a cab! The B&B is RIGHT THERE!) The hosts were so nice! (but for the most part they left you alone)
It was so comfortable there. My room was great! The computer with high speed internet for the guests to use was right next to me. The room was equipped with my own phone line with answering machine (they give you the number to give out to your family and friends) a writing desk, a tv with DVD, and a clock radio/CD You even get complete control of your own thermostat! The en suite bathroom had a great shower and nice fluffy towels.

Every morning you come down to breakfast and you have a fruit cup already waiting for you (and yummy baked goods fill the table along with breads and assorted cheeses and jams - and cereals too) Then when you sit down you are given your very own miniature French Press of coffee made to order. (Of course, there are an assortment of teas and fresh squeezed oj as well) I usually like a full cooked meal when I stay at a B&B, but I will tell you this. When I was in Toronto I had a full cooked meal and because the hostess was so snobby and I felt so uncomfortable there, I didn't enjoy it at all. My breakfast at the Morrison House was MUCH MUCH BETTER. (and the hostess is an awesome baker. She makes all of the breakfast goodies.) I NEVER left hungry. In the dining area, there is also a water cooler and cases of bottled water for you to help yourself!! Also, there is a fridge and microwave for your use and the teas and coffee stay out all day for your enjoyment.
They really went above and beyond. They even let me use their washing machine!! I WILL BE STAYING THERE AGAIN!! http://www.morrisonhousebnb.com/

Boston Aquarium/IMAX

I have seen many aquariums in my day, and this one rates right up there. It is worth it. You get a special treat if you like penguins. There are plenty of them and 3 different kinds! I especially enjoyed the jellyfish exhibit. Who knew jellyfish were so cool?! - I bought the combo ticket which also gets you into the IMAX. I LOVE IMAX. Especially when it is in 3-D.

Blue Man Group

WOW! I am so glad I went to this. The show was incredible - really something for everyone. There were 2 "old" couples behind me (1 couple apparently had seen it before so they were taking their friends) and they were really loving it. I can not wait to go back. It really was better than I expected
**DO WEAR EARPLUGS if you go! It is a very small theatre and it gets LOUD. It is loud enough for you to forget you are wearing plugs - I took one out just to hear what it would be like without it : It was very loud with them in and excruciating loud without them. (Loud enough to go partially deaf!)**

Swan Boats

The line is long on a nice day, but it moves fairly quickly. It is a very pleasurable 15 minute pond cruise.

SkyWalk

I've heard people say that this is overpriced and not worth it. Well, that may be their opinion, but of course, they are WRONG! (ha!ha!) At $9.50 it is a bargain. You get a spectacular 360 degree view with a really entertaining and informative audio commentary (children get a different audio program) there is also a short film, and many exhibits. You can also stay up there as long as you like. THIS WAS NOT A WASTE OF TIME OR MONEY!!

Duck Tour

I'm going to take a different tour next time I go, but I am glad I did this one. It was fun and they ask if you want to drive the boat once you get in the water.

North End Market tour http://www.northendmarkettours.com/

EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE THIS TOUR! The 2 hour walking tour is incredible. Michele Topor is a 30+ year resident of the North End. I can't even describe this tour to you, so I have to quote the website:

A two and a half hour tour of North End markets
Tastings of many authentic foods
Tips on food selection, preparation and preservation
Insights on new restaurant "finds"
Historical insights into the North End community

It was just incredible! Also, I discovered the best bakery! Sure, if you want Italian-American go to Mike's. They do an incredible business and are the #1 tourist attraction of the North End. I felt I had to try the cannoli to see what all the fuss was about. It was good... but if you want GREAT traditional Italian (i.e. not too sweet - coolwhip and pudding Michele calls it) YOU HAVE TO GO TO MARIA'S www.northendboston.com/marias The tiramisu is THE BEST I ever had!! (So good I had one shipped out a few weeks ago)

Chacarero

The best sandwich I have ever had in my life! It is a traditional Chilean sandwich ... want to drool? Check out the website http://www.chacarero.com
I had A LOT of great food in Boston ... but this place is really a highlight. If I lived in Boston, I would eat it every other day!!

Ok guys, I am sure I am missing a lot - but that is all I can think of right now. There was a lot a didn't get to see that I really wanted to see (like the science museum) because I just ran out of time (and I wasn't feeling that great, but that's another story!)

If you have any questions, just ask.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm pleased you love my city!!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Welcome back! Sorry about your family problems, hope it's getting better.

I spent only an evening in Boston and managed to squeeze the Blue group in, reading your description now - like you've copied my impression

If I go to Boston again I'll sure use your advice re: places to go to.

Did you fly in? Have you noticed the large white rocking chairs in the airport? And no seat covers in the bathroom
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta,

PLEASE tell me you eat at Chacarero on a regular basis! I live in an International city (Atlanta) and we don't have anything that good here! - By the way, I will be in Boston again on June 12-27. Is that a good time to go? I usually prefer the Spring, but I noticed they have a lot more activities in Summer. I am also hoping to do a day trip (or an overnight) but I haven't decided where yet.

FainaAgain,
I did fly in ... but although I did use the toilet, I don't remember them. I am glad I was able to give you some good advice on what to see.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Glad you enjoyed our beautiful city! June will be a perfect time to come next year.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM

Fainiagain,

White Rocking chairs?

I've seen plenty in Charlotte Airport but not in Logan - what terminal did you use?

W&G - it's a fun city isn't it? I wish I lived closer, we're 30 miles out in the 'burbs
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

TTT for a few people.

alya, what suburb are you in? 30miles doesn't seem that far. It seems to me when people talk about "Boston" they mean the whole greater Boston area. It seems to cover a great area. (I mean, you can get to just about anywhere on the T)
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 08:07 AM
lvk

Nice, enthusiastic report about a city that I also love.

Faina, this is too weird. When I first moved to SoCal from MA, a co-worker (who was originally from Armenia) commented that she thought that New England was a depressed area because most restrooms didn't have paper toilet seat covers! That, of all things, was her main memory from her Boston trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM

LOL, LVK, this is NOT my main memory! It was just weird that a woman in the next stall commented on that out loud.

Alya, I don't remember which terminal, I flew non-stop from San Francisco arriving around 5 pm, and on the way from the plane (United? I'll try to find my report) I remember it as a long walkway with huge windows and people rocking, watching planes.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:56 AM

No, it was American - still no idea which termina.

Here is the link to my New England report

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34536656
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Its true there are rocking chairs at terminal B. I noticed them there for the first time when I flew out on American in Aug. Never saw them before that but then again I'm not usually waiting around the terminal becaue I'm always late for my flights out of Logan.

So glad you like our city - it really is pretty cool and even though I've lived in the vicinity most of my life, I'm always discovering new things.

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
wallace_gromit, I don't know that place?? June is a fine time to visit. The only repeater we go to is Legal's for the incredible oysters and one is located near Barney's
I;; pass on your B@B to a friend who is looking for a place for two weeks.
email me on hotmail if I can help you more.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:02 PM

W&C

We're an hour away from Boston on the T - we're the end of the line and about 15 minutes drive to RI.

Fania - It still sounds like Charlotte airport I wonder if the rocking chair manufacturers give airports a good price? I bet the theory is that the rocking helps to relax the passengers who are delayed
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:03 PM

No - actually - the rocking chairs are to hang around and wait for several hours waiting for the traffic to let up on the central artery and big dig!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta,

I just don't think it is right that you live in Boston but don't know Chacarero. - So I am making it my personal mission to get you to go get a sandwich. (try the original combo) You will thank me for this ... and you will be hooked. (so addicting!! The best sandwich I ever had in my life!!)

ADDRESS:
426 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02108
(Right in the heart of Downtown Crossing outside of Filenes)

HOURS:
Monday - Friday 11AM to 7PM

PHONE:
(617) 542-0392

FAX:
(617) 695-3715

GENERAL EMAIL:
[email protected]

Read the testimonials! (Mine will be up their soon )
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM

lol, wallace and gromit, you make me want to fly to Boston right away!
I was there a long time ago and it was so cold, we had a hard time doing outdoor sightseeing. You really have reawakened my interest in going back again. I can take cigale with me to that restaraurant
Loved your report, my condolences on your loss~
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Scarlett, it was my grandmother who passed. She was terminally ill with Hep.C (we have no idea how she got that!) but the events that led to her death were very strange and very sudden. (I was there though, so that is good)

ANYWAY, I almost forgot to mention the weather while I was in Boston! LOL!! It was the end of May and unseasonably cold and windy. The first 2 days I was there I had a death grip on my umbrella!! (LOL! Boston made the news around the country) - But it got better.

I am so glad you liked my report!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Wallace -

I would imagine that you enjoy everywhere and are the kind of visitor everyone loves to have because of your enthusiasm and obvious joy of living. Thank you for writing such a nice report about my beloved state. Please consider Lexington/Concord, Lowell, Newburyport, or the ferry to PTown on your next trip and once again have a wonderful time.

Sharon
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Wallace & Grombit, glad you enjoyed our city. Not sure where you are from but the next time you might venture further out as others suggest. You might get a hotel around Route 128 or Route I and see historical spots like Salem (witchcraft), Concord (the shot heard round the world) and Lexington, Quincy (home of Adames), Plymouth (the rock), Cape Ann, Gloucster, Cape Cod, the White Mountains. But now I am straing. Nearer to Boston - Harvard (Veritas!), MIT, the Museum of Fine Arts (great French Impressionists), Fenway Park and more.

Of course our best season is now - foliage. Enjoy Boston and welcome.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Glad you got to have a Chacarero! I work around the corner from it and I can attest that it is an amazing sandwich (I like original chicken, myself).

One word of warning, however... try to go off-peak hours (meaning avoid 12-2, Mon-Fri). The lines are literally almost around the corner at that time and you'll wait 30 mins or more. I find if you go at 2 or later, the wait is more like 5 or 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -