Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I learned something about flying on Southwest Airlines today.

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just wanted to share what I learned I could do on Southwest Airlines. Probably, everyone else knew you could do this but, I didn't. I purchased tickets for two for 419.00 to Amarillo (visit to my mothers for Christmas)last month. Well, today they had a sale (419.00 was suppose to be a sale) and I could get my tickets for $288.00 . Well, I called the airline and learned that I could change my itinerary online by going to the travel center to the same times but, then I would recieve $131.00 in future travel. I was so happy and wanted to share that in case anyone was interested.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:23 PM
jor

Sounds great, but now SW has you hooked to buy another two tickets! Welcome to the Americiscam way.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Just about every airline does this, except a fair amount of the credit will be lost as you have to pay a telephone or walk up fare, as opposed to a lower internet fare. And many airlines are now charging passengers $10 fees when travel is not purchased online.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Trisha, I was not aware of this so thanks for the info. Never even thought about it.

One thing I do like about SW is that if you have to cancel your flight they will allow you a year to use credit. I had to cancel a flight at the last minute last autumn and just assumed I would lose what I paid for the ticket.
But had it applied for a flight I took this spring.

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:50 PM

After purchasing tickets to Grand Cayman last Dec., the rates went down by $150pp in the spring. American Airlines refunded the difference back to my credit card. I ended up saving almost $500!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:52 PM

When AA price went down I called, and they mailed a voucher for the difference. I guess many airlines do that.

By the way, there is a thread on the Airlines forum about AA charging now $100 for using a voucher. So everybody who has the vouchers - don't hold them! Other airlines will soon follow.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM

United airlines does NOT do this unless you booked with united.com. If you booked with a travel agent you will not receive any voucher for the difference.

We have tickets to LIH this January that went down in price $90 a ticket (five people traveling). We called and they told us too bad.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:11 PM

kika....hmmmmm...I am not sure you have ogtten the correct info...This has happened to me and my UA ticket was reissued,no fee charged, and a voucher was issued by my TA...Maybe your TA is not aware of the "GAF" that United has...Guaranteed Air Fare rule is what my TA has explained to me.I would try again.Best of luck!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:18 PM

That is quite possibly the best news I have heard all day!! I will talk to my TA again...the price is still lower than what we paid. I will also try to find it in writing. Thank you BeachBoi!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Southwest gives you full credit, which is good. Most airlines charge you $100 fee to change a ticket, unless you purchased it in the last 24 hours. They might not tell you this, just tell you that you'll be receiving a credit voucher without mentioning that a $100 fee will have been deducted, hoping that you don't notice.

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:32 AM

The credit that SW gives is good for one year FROM THE ORIGINAL TICKET PURCHASE. Also, if you use any of the old credits toward the new ticket, any expiration should you cancel the new tix will still be that of the earliest credit you used to purchase them.

It's still not a bad deal, since you still don't have change fees; just be aware of it.

If possible, make separate itineraries for each person, and you can check in online or at the kiosk. When multiple names are on the itin. you must check in at desk. Southwest is the greatest.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:52 AM

The problem with Southwest is that they have no agreements with other airlines. If you get stuck, you wait until Southwest can find you a seat on another one of their planes. Other airlines have agreements so that if you're delayed, they can find you a seat on another carrier if necessary.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM

SWA will even extend past a year, if you call them. I had vouchers, and didn't realize a whole yr had gone by ("time flies when you're having fun") called them, and they issued new vouchers good for...I think another 4 months!? I used them toward a flight before my luck ran out! Let's hear it for Herb Kelleher, Southwest's CEO. When he started the airline, he made a point of hiring Vietnam Vets when others did not.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM

CaliNurse, inspite of having to line up to board I too am a fan of SW. I have had nothing but terric service from them, and so have many of my family members. They really seem to have a "heart".