I guess the hotels have caught on

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shopping around for hotel rates and have noticed that often the hotel web site offers deals as good as those found on the "bargain" sites like hotels.com, etc.

For instance, Harrah's in Vegas is offering two week nights for $89 each while the price for the same nights (and same dates) on the bargain sites is running about $105.

Maybe the hotels are finally figuring out this Internet thing.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:18 PM
SEW

Marriotts has gone with the best rates ad for their own site. So far I've found it to been true. Also found a great price at Hyatt on their website.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:24 PM

I just got an email from Hyatt saying that if you find a lower published rate on any other website, they will not only match it, but beat it by 20% for your entire stay.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:36 PM

The reasons why there were those cheap rates to start with is that some independent franchisees of the major chains decide to dump cheaper rooms to those websites, against the wishes or policies of the franchisers.

The large chains like Hyatt and Marriott has basically stamped out these occurences, though you may still be able to find such deals for smaller hotels at more obscure locations.

Harrah's has only a handful of hotels in the country, and their computer software is one of the best in the gaming industry in analysing their clients' behavior. I am sure they are also good at managing their own hotel room inventory, and therefore can adjust rates more quickly & frequently than they tell hotels.com, etc to do so.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I just reserved a room for Friday night at Wyndham Tremont in Galveston, TX for $135 on their website (including 1 free buffet breakfast). The best I could find elsewhere was $165.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Well, something like that.

Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, etc., sell you rooms they buy from the hotels.

Many who book via the web, and have become savvy at doing same, have realized that, often, the same room at the same hotel offered on Expedia, for example, has a higher rate than at the hotel's website.

Those not so savvy (from lack of experience, or from having "heard" something like "Expedia has the best rates more often than not", for example, may be booking rooms on Expedia for more than the rate available at the hotel's website, which the hotel has sold to Expedia for a discount, so the customer pays more, the hotel has given up a discount, and Expedia gets the difference.

So, more and more hotel chains have the new "guarantee".

Note that it does not apply to "blind" purchases of rooms - like Priceline and Hotwire.

Still, shame on the hotels for their fluctuating prices for the same dates, if you shop off and on ahead of time.

I, personally, think the hotels are worse than the airlines.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I still think one of the most obvious (or maybe not-so-obvious) differences, is that most of the rates booked through the hotel directly have no cancellation penalty (up to the last 12 or 24 hours). That means you can book and if somebody else has a better rate later, you can always cancel. But nearly all the "bargain" sites have strict cancellation penalties. You change your plans and you lose. Or you find a better deal -- to bad, you're stuck with what you signed up for.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I still think one of the most obvious (or maybe not-so-obvious) differences, is that most of the rates booked through the hotel directly have no cancellation penalty (up to the last 12 or 24 hours). That means you can book and if somebody else has a better rate later, you can always cancel. But nearly all the "bargain" sites have strict cancellation penalties. You change your plans and you lose. Or you find a better deal -- too bad, you're stuck with what you signed up for.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Recently there have been numerous news articles on this very subject. The hotels themselves were happy with the bargain websites back when the industry was slow and room were going empty. Howver, apparently the hotels realized they had given away too much control (and money) and are trying to steer consumers to using them directly. That's why various hotels now have guarantees about their own websites having lower prices. I also believe some hotel chains will no longer offer points for rooms booked through websites other than their own.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Each summer I take a vacation in the US, making all the arrangements myself. Because I am away from the market in between times I really notice changes.

Four years ago the consolidators usually had the best rates for all the chains. The only direct links to hotels that beat them consistently were the rare independents.

By last year it rarely paid to use the consolidators. The hotel chains were always the same price or within a couple of dollars and by booking direct you retain flexibility, get rewards points, and don't have to pay up front. Last year I booked 42 hotel nights, only 2 with a consolidator.

This year the consolidators are NEVER beating direct. The only way to go now is to use Priceline in the big cities and direct with the property concerned in the towns not served by Priceline.

The consolidators are only useful as a research tool, you can bring up a list of all the properties in a given town for comparisson, and to get a ball park idea of price. Greybeard
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Did you see Peter Greenberg's comments about this on the Today Show this morning? Although some of the information might be fairly obvious to a seasoned traveler, the segment was interesting and offered informative comments about getting a hotel room at the lowest price, and how to cut costs once you have arrived. If you missed it check the Today Show website. I tried to post a link, but this morning's comments are on the web yet. Yesterday he did a story about hotel safety it can be read at: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4535173
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I have found that the canx penalty is just as strict with the bargain rates on the hotel's website. If you read the fine print, they state that no cancellations are allowed- once you book the room, they charge your card immediately and that's it. If you don't stay, you're out of luck. That's just what I've found.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Copied this directly from the Doubletree website... regarding their "net direct" iequot;cheap" rates.

Plan Description:
FULL PAYMENT REQUIRED AT TIME OF RESERVATION. CREDIT CARD
REQUIRED AT TIME OF BOOKING AND WILL BE CHARGED IMMEDIATELY
FOR THE FULL AMOUNT OF THE STAY AS RESERVED.
NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR EARLY DEPARTURE, CANCELLATION OR
NO SHOW. NO MODIFICATION ALLOWED ONCE RESERVATION IS
CONFIRMED. GUEST MUST CHECK IN ON ARRIVAL DATE OR
RESERVATION WILL BE CANCELLED AND FULL PAYMENT FORFEITED.
EMAIL ADDRESS OR TELEPHONE NUMBER REQUIRED ON ALL BOOKINGS.
USE THE FPP/NREF GUARANTEE POLICY WHEN CONFIRMING THE
RESERVATION.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Good point re cancellation policies. Most of the bargain sites want to lock you in by making you prepay, while most hotels will let you cancel (within a reasonable time) without penalty.

Exceptions: Any hotel I've booked on Quikbook has had a cancellation policy of up to 12 hours before. And the Harrah's reservation I mentioned earlier had a penalty of the first night's cost for cancellation. We may see more and more of the from the hotels.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:59 AM

>>>Message: Copied this directly from the Doubletree website... regarding their "net direct" iequot;cheap" rates.
<<<

This is true about some of the "Web Rates" hotels offer. However, others, like Hilton's "Best Guarantee" rates don't require prepayment and the cancellation polices are standard (i.e, 24 to 72 hours). These are the rates I go for, I'm not a fan of prepaid rates be they from an Expedia type service or the hotels themselves.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Uh... Doubletree is a Hilton owned hotel... wouldn't the poilcy be the same for all Hilton hotels?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Just checked a Hilton rate... their "best available without penalty" rate was 20.00 more per night than their "net direct" rates.

I guess my point is, nothing's ever free!
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Krazchek, I've searched the same website, and there is a way around: you may get the same bargain rate without cancellation penalty if you're a member of something, like AAA or AARP.