internet sites for london hotels

Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
mnc
Original Poster

internet sites for london hotels

I'm going to London this summer, and would like to book a hotel via internet. Can you recommend any site you have used? There are so many, I don't know which one to use.
Tanks.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:13 AM

My suggestion is to pick three of them and find the same hotel. Then, compare prices. I did that and found that prices were not identical.

I learned that some web sites quote the room price WITHOUT the VAT. That makes a huge difference in the rate.

Also be sure that the rate is per room, or ,if it is per person, that the notation is at least consistent.

Sometimes the price is also stated without breakfast. So if you find a price quote that is per person without taxes and without breakfast, the rate can be pretty close to a lie.

I would not ever take just one price.
Compare to make sure you are not being juked.

I did that with the hotel I selected. In the end, I dealt with the hotel to get the best price.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:39 AM

I have had good luck with www.hotels-london.co.uk.
Lots of people also use londontown.com. As the previous poster said, be sure to pay attention to whether the rates include VAT (all the rates on hotels-london include VAT and are per room, not per person).
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:55 AM

A lot of people prefer booking directly with the hotel or it's chain (rather than with a middle man) which can also be done on the internet. There are American brands like Hilton and Holiday Inn as well as chains like Thistle and groups like Firmdale. Many people report getting hotels to match prices they've seen on 3rd party discount websites. Maybe use one of the websites to "shop" hotels (londontown.com is popular) & then consider booking direct with the hotel. If you're interested in a larger property they sometimes have specials on their own websites.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

A lot of people prefer booking directly with the hotel or it's chain (rather than with a middle man) which can also be done on the internet. There are American brands like Hilton and Holiday Inn as well as chains like Thistle and groups like Firmdale. Many people report getting hotels to match prices they've seen on 3rd party discount websites. Maybe use one of the websites to "shop" hotels (londontown.com is popular) & then consider booking direct with the hotel. If you're interested in a larger property they sometimes have specials on their own websites.

FYI-in addition to watching for Vat etc., some of the 3rd party websites require full payment in advance. This makes it very difficult to leave if you arrive & you hate the place!
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM

www.londonnights.com is a very good one to use in comparisons.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:04 PM

We like to stay at the Rubens Hotel across from Buckingham Palace. I have never found a cheaper rate than at londontown.com. Right now, their rate is 106 GBP for a double including their wonderful buffet breakfast. With VAT, it comes to 125 GBP. On london-hotels.co.uk, the rate is 149 GBP including VAT but not including breakfast. Big difference.

However, this is just my experience, but it does pay to check a number of websites. Another thing I like about londontown.com is you don't have to pay in advance and you pay the hotel directly when you check out.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:56 PM

I found the best prices,which included tax and breakfast, at hotel-assist.com.

In the past I have liked hoteldisocunts.com.

And -- Priceline is REALLY worth it if you do not need to specify a certian number of beds, and if you can stand to study the Biddingfortravel advice.

Through Priceline I've had nice 4* rooms on the edge of Mayfair and the center of Bloomsbury for $105 DOLLARS (not pounds).

For any possibility, I check on the hotel at Tripadvisor.com. (Tho not with Priceline as you can't choose anyhow.)
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:07 AM
mnc
Original Poster

Thak-you.
I'll compare different sites and try to book directly with the hotel -as soon as I decide on one!
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:13 PM
mnc
Original Poster

Elizabeth, can you explain how hotel-assist.com works? Do they charge the room to your credit card when they confirm the booking, or do you pay directly to the hotel?
Thenk-you.
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Thistle hotel frequently runs great specials. They have many locations around London. I have often found the best hotel deals on their own website. It's fairly user-friendly and you can book online.
Look carefully when choosing a rate though. Some include VAT and breakfast and some don't. And some prices are listed per person vs per room. Some also have to be prepaid and may not be entirely refundable.
That being said, managed get the Thistle Victoria (4 star, right at the Victoria train and Underground stations) for 60 pounds per room (got a double) inclusive of VAT and breakfast last year.
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:49 AM

http://www.london-discount-hotel.com

I spent days looking at websites, and the above was the only one with real bargains that I found. I would have used them for the Best Western in Bayswater, but I got a better deal through British Air for a hotel on Russell Square in Bloomsbury. If you are flying BA, watch them for a sale. I saw notice of the winter sale right here on this forum.

Otherwise, what people have said is true. Londontown.com quotes without VAT and other "bargains" I thought I'd found were per person and no bargain after I did the math. Even laterooms was a disappointment to me. Good luck! You might want to get a place with air conditioning just in case.
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I agree with other posters and would use the internet to search for hotel info and approximate prices, but ultimately I would contact the hotels by email and ask what rates they could offer or if they could match a rate that I saw elsewhere. Also beware that some sites want money up front when you book. I contacted the Rembrandt Hotel directly and got a room for 3 in August for 89#s and the price includes breakfast and VAT. Good luck!
Jan 29th, 2004, 02:59 PM

I'll chime in with the others here and note:

Since you're not going until summer, keep checking off and on. I've been shopping since November for May and the rates (along with whether or not breakfast and/or taxes included) go up and down.

I agree with Bob's advice to select several, then compare prices.

Rates at Thistle properties fluctuate enormously on Londontown, and at the Thistle website. ALSO room description (standard, deluxe, superior - whatever all that means) and whether or not room will have A/C. So, you must pay attention. May as well have A/C as not in summertime. Apparently many hotels have rooms with and without A/C.

Pay attention to cancellation/pre-pay requirements as well. I've noticed Thistle properties with significantly lower rates, but seven day (instead of day of) cancellation or pre-pay (which in many cases is a really good deal given the reduced rate).
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Hey,

I found a good site that you may be interested in. It features all the major hotel chains and smaller boutique hotels in London.

http://www.ukhotelz.co.uk/london.htm

I hope this helps!

Ukhotelz
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:07 AM

UKHotelz:

1) advertising is not allowed on here

2) Dredging up 3 year old threads to post your ad and posing as a "customer" is really lame

3) using your website as your screen name is really, REALLY lame

4) your website is really, really, REALLY lame . . . .