Reload this Page >

Hyatt vs. Marriott-Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Kate

Hi! Need some advice...the Hyatt looks fabulous and I am only hearing great things about it but I am concerned about our budget. We will be staying 8 days in Kauai and will be spending 5 of them at some kind of a B & B; however, our first 3 days need to be at a resort so we can get a deal on air/car..we are trying to decide between the Hyatt and the Marriott--the Marriott would cost us about $400 less for 3 days (would also consider Princeville, Coconut Beach, Sheraton and Outrigger)...any suggestions?

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Bart

Aloha Kate, the Hyatt is fabulous. We have stayed at both the Hyatt and the Marriott and the Hyatt wins HANDS DOWN. See if you can get their cheapest room- the view is not all that important. You will really enjoy the grounds and public areas of the hotel. We have been to Kauai 3 times and stayed at the Hyatt once. It is my choice. IMHO, the Poipu area is the best in Kauai.
Enjoy, Bart

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 08:12 AM
Kara

I have stayed at both on our honeymoon and we were very disappointed with the Marriott. The pool was not even heated and you could barely go in it was so cold. The only way to get to their jacuzzis is through the ice cold pool. The Hyatt is absolutely incredible and I agree with the first response your view does not matter becuase how often do you really spend looking out your window when you can go outside and enjoy it first hand.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 12:28 PM
Julie

Just got back from Kauai myself and stayed at the Hyatt for 3 nights - we also stayed there last year for our honeymoon.

If you are using a travel agent, make sure they put on your reservations that you are honeymooners if you are - you'll probably get an upgraded room. Last year, we booked a mountain view room and were upgraded to a garden view. This year, we also reserved a mountain view room and were upgraded because of availability to a partial ocean view.

There's nothing wrong with the mountain view rooms at all, by the way. They have a very nice view too.

We went by the Marriott and had dinner there one night but it just felt uncomfortable to me. It's filled with huge columns and low ceailings. I felt very short and inconsequential. It's a large resort with a big pool but the pool was nothing special - just big. The pool at the Hyatt on the other hand is more than a pool - it's a salt water lagoon plus a bi-level fresh water pool with natural landscaping. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

Also, if it's important to you, be sure to check with your B&B about air conditioning, etc. We originally booked with the Aston at Poipu Kai for a condo and discovered when we arrived that the units did not have air conditioning and only had louvered windows and fans. This would not have been a big deal except there was no cross ventilation and the unit faced directly east on the front where the bedroom was and west where the living room was - it never cooled down, not even in the night. Hence, our move to the Hyatt after one night. We'd have moved earlier but they were booked solid for our first night.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:06 AM
l wilson

You'll regret it if you don't stay at the Hyatt. We honeymooned there 2 years ago and it was fabulous.

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 01:15 PM
bren

You only get married once! You can skimp on other vacations. Definitely go with the Hyatt. Try for a Club Room - free continental breakfast, cookies in the afternoon, free cocktails in the PM. We were booked at Sheraton for our honeymoon. Once we saw Hyatt - moved out in a flash. Tell them you are on your honeymoon. They will treat you like royalty. We were upgraded to oceanview, club room at no addl cost. Service is superb. If you are golfers - head for the awesome 18 hole golf course. Cannot say enough about the Hyatt.

Old Oct 30th, 1999, 10:10 PM
Scott in Cowtown

I ditto everything everyone is said- go for the Hyatt, it's worth the extra $$$. We just spent 4 days there in 9/99. Choose the Hyatt especially if you plan to just lounge around. The pool area is just incredible, and the hotel lobby and foyer are unbelievable. Have some great R&R for me...

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 05:34 AM
l wilson

The Hyatt is beautiful we honeymooned there two years ago. You can't go wrong!!

Enjoy.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Terry

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt 6 months ago. It not only looks fabulous, it was fabulous. We booked a garden view room, and even from there we were able to see the ocean (probably just lucky, though). The pools, grounds and restaurants were great. Stopped by the Marriott, but didn't care for the "high rise" look. Have also stayed at the Embassy Suites and Four Seasons on Maui and Four Seasons on the Big Island and would consider the Kauai Hyatt a close second to F.S. Big Island. If you have a chance, take a helicopter ride. You won't regret it.