hyatt regency-savannah

Sep 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM
deborahk

hyatt regency-savannah

We will be going here in April and I have read some negative reviews about this hotel. Can anyone give me their impressions?

Sep 15th, 2004, 05:59 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt a couple of months ago on our first visit to Savannah. It is in an ideal location, right on the river, an easy walk to the rest of the historic district. You want to be where you can walk all day to see the town.
The service was very good. The price was a tad high but so are the rest of the hotels in Savannah. We paid a little over $400 for 2 nights.
The first room we were shown was on a lower floor, smelled damp and smokey, we asked for a change of rooms. We were given a beautiful room on a corner of the bldg..with a view of the river and town.
We were not unhappy with the room or hotel, but do not expect current luxuries, it is a tiny bit tired and behind in terms of bathrooms and beds in good hotels today.
I would look into the Hilton also, it is right in the middle of the historic area, by one of the lovely squares.
Hope this helps, it really is not a bad hotel and the location is great!
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:52 AM
bonniebroad

Scarlett summed up the hotel very well; we had a similar experience there a few years ago, and ended up in a room with a gorgeous view of the river. My favorite thing about the hotel is it's location; I *think* OO told us recently that this hotel is due to be renovated anytime.......... Get the best rate you can, and be prepared to ask for a room change if you get a musty one! I think you'll be fine. Have a wonderful time; Savannah is great!

Sep 15th, 2004, 01:18 PM

ASK for a corner room that has TWO windows..one that looks up ((or down) river as well as onto the river itself.
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM

I just spent 3 nights at the Hamptom Inn in Historic Distric. It is on Bay St - which is one block from River Street, across from a smaller square. Room was nice, very clean, continental brkfst included, rooftop pool, parking for $8. While not quite as upscale as Hilton or Hyatt, room was $150/night.
Sep 16th, 2004, 07:05 AM
GoTravel

I don't think you can beat the location of the hotel. I've stayed there five or six times and enjoyed it every time. Yes, it may be a little tired but it is a Hyatt.

Sep 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
deborahk

I imagine we will stay there, but some of the reviews on tripadvisor were really, really negative. I think if I could be assured a "nice" room it would be fine-but I'm worried I'll get stuck with a bad one. I'm almost ready to book the Mulberry Inn because the reviews are so favorable and I really want a nice room. Any thoughts on that?
Any way to be sure you can get a newer, renovated room? Thanks.

Sep 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
bonniebroad

deborahk, now that you mention The Mulberry Inn, my big sister absolutely loves that place, stays in it every time she goes to Savannah now, although she's stayed in the Hyatt Regency before. She is planning another night there, as we speak, when she travels to Florida in January. If we didn't have our doggie, we might try it also. And it's just, what, one street back from the river? I'm sure you'll be happy, either place.....