Reload this Page >

Hwy 101 Bandon to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Sara

Last weekend went to Bullards Beach State Park to stay in a yurt. Loved the yurt and the heater! It was a gorgeous weekend weather-wise. Bandon has lots of touristy shops worth a stroll and the cheese factory is fun to try different cheeses.

Coming home we drove from Bandon to Florence Oregon. I have noticed that lots of people ask about driving Hwy 101 and want to drive the southern portion of Hwy 101 to see the views and ocean. While I know that this portion isn't really 'southern' the ocean is not visible from the Highway. There are 2 places (I counted!) where glimpses of the ocean are visible from the highway. Of course there are parks and places to get to the ocean but it isn't visible from the highway like it is from Florence north. I also know that south of Bandon for a little ways is inland too.

The drive is pretty but I wouldn't consider it very good for seeing the ocean from the highway.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Pepe

?Que es un Yurt?

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Lynn

The are lots of areas along the Oregon coast with oean views--some quite wonderful-
Although quite scattered..
Port Orford south to Gold Beach, and around Brookings--however IMO these views are not as spectacular asFlorence north to Depoe Bay.
Garibaldi to Cannon Beach has great
"off & on"views
My favorites are Cape Perpetua area
and around Yachats.
The lighthouse at Heceta Head , a little north of the Sea Lion Caves, is the most photographed lighthouse
point in all of US. (Although I wonder about Cape Hatteras)
I've been in 43 states and the Oregon coast is my all time favoritefor drives along coasts...

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:43 AM
x

For Pepe, yurts.com will provide you with all the info regarding yurts. They are non(semi?) permanent housing with an open floor plan. The agricultural areas of CA have begun providing this housing to farm workers as the cost of housing is so high.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Tammy

Why would anyone want to see the Oregon coast from INSIDE there car? It's the only state in the USA where every inch of the coastline is public property and open to ALL. So why stay inside a stuffy car? Get out at one of the many dozens of wonderful parks and smell the salt water. More state parks on the coast in Oregon than anywhere else in the USA too. See it, don't just drive by it.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Sara

Tammy - I completely agree with you! However, we were headed home and didn't have time to stop. On this board I have seen so many people who want to drive 101 but with limited time. I often recommend that they drive the mid-coast because it has the best scenery. However others recommend the southern coast or people ask about it so while I was there I thought I will consciously check it out. There are many wonderful parks and I have stopped at most but often people traveling don't take the time to drive too far off the highway to stop to view it.

So I still say if you don't have much time and you want to see the beauty of the Oregon coast and don't have time to drive all of Hwy 101 stopping all along the way then drive the mid-coast Florence north. (I didn't know we had the most State Parks - way to go Oregon!)