Huntsville area in April

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Huntsville area in April

Looking to do some sightseeing in the Huntsville area (hiking and cavern tour). Can anyone recommend places to stay? I would prefer a condo with fridge/kitchen/etc.

Thanks to all who contribute their time and answers
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:28 AM

I'm very familiar with the Huntsville area, having lived there many years. Others on this forum live there now. It would help if you could say how long you will plan to stay there. It's possible that there could even be a lakefront cottage on Guntersville Lake that would be available if you have a longer-term stay. For a stay of only a week or two, you will probably end up in a motel. Try one that has the housekeeping facilities you want; there are some.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We are staying for 5 nights. I was hoping for a cottage or condo, but sounds like a hotel/motel is our only option.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM

You can find good hiking in the Huntsville Area. Look at Monte Sano State Park. Also, there are usually a lot of cars parked at the peak of the mountain going over Cecil Ashburn Dr. (There are only 2 main ways over the mountain into Hampton Cove. Monte Sano is the Hwy 431/Governor's Dr. way, and the other spot is over Cecil Ashburn - use Mapquest or Google Earth) There is good shopping/lodging/dining at Bridge Street Town Center. Huntsville is very pretty and you are coming at a very good time of year weather-wise. Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM

I forgot to mention Cathedral Caverns State Park about 15 miles away from Huntsville accessible from either Hwy 72 or 431. Have fun!