Huntington Beach from Stanton?

May 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Huntington Beach from Stanton?

Still trying to find a good lodging option for HB in August - have to be there for Jr Beach V-ball tourney. Have found a GREAT deal on Best Western Cypress in Stanton that gets very good reviews - but it's 12 miles away. Also keep reading about how crazy traffic will be. Is it doable to drive in from Stanton on Saturday for the tournament...? How much will parking by the beach be? Thanks....
May 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
lvk

I'm assuming that you will have to be there pretty early on a Saturday morning. Traffic should be very light at that time. It should only take you about 20 minutes. The afternoon will be a different story.

BUT- There is a reason that that motel is so cheap in the summer. I have only been to Stanton a few times, but from what I have seen, it is kind of a grim, industrial city. Not a place I would choose for a family trip. Can you try Seal Beach instead? Costa Mesa? I would honestly rather add 15 minutes to my drive than to stay in Stanton.

Parking should run you about $10, unless they jack it up for a special event: www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24290
May 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM

I also would pass on Stanton. It is not a touristy type city. I think you would be happier elsewhere.
May 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Ayres Hotel is a local chain that is pretty decent. There is one in Seal Beach (NOT walking distance to the beach but not too far driving).

www.ayreshotel.com

May 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - good to know about Ayres, their rate wasn't too bad. I'm really just trying to find cheap alternatives since we won't be where the hotel is other than to sleep - we'll be at the beach all day Sat and heading home Sunday. The Best Western in Stanton is $70 inc breakfast, vs the cheapest in a closer/nicer area is about $105. So just thinking since we are only sleeping there and the hotel itself gets good reviews, maybe it would be worth it to save $70. Right now we are booked in the Best Western Regency Inn in HB for $105. I am waiting to hear if the Hilton right on the beach in HB has a decent discount for tournament participants since they are the sponsor. Maybe worth it to stay there 1 night and go really cheap the other night. Or maybe use miles for the Hilton. I know it would be so worth it to stay on the beach, just trying to figure out what I am willing to spend - the usual dilemma, right?? Thanks for all your advice....
May 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM

I've stayed at the Ayres Hotel in Seal Beach before I moved to SB to live. It is very comfortable, quiet, convenient. Have seen families staying there (CSU Long Beach is just down the road). I remember telling someone that I had my best night's sleep ever in a hotel at that hotel. A good breakfast buffet is included in the rate. It is on Seal Beach Blvd at the 405 freeway, so a good location for getting to Surf City. The hotel is just a couple of minutes drive from the Seal Beach pier.