Hula lessons for 5 year old on big isl?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Laura

Hi all,
I can't believe it but we are actually going to hawaii next wednesday (we were supposed to go 3 days after 9/11 and cancelled). Anyway, we are going to the big island and staying in a condo connected to the Mauna Lani. My daughter really wants to take a hula lesson (big lilo and stitch fan) and I have no idea where to go. Any ideas? Thanks,
Laura

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Patrick

OK, I'm no expert at parenting, but I do know that most local dance studios in the US include Hula. Maybe you could check out getting the lesson before you go. Then if you attend one of those big luahs (sp?), she'll be one step ahead and steal the show.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Melissa

The Mauna Lani Resort has a "camp" (day care) that includes crafts and stuff. Maybe they also have hula lessons? Or the Orchid at Mauna Lani has activities... try http://www.orchid-maunalani.com/act_alohakids.htm

I do not know about the Big Island, but luaus on Oahu often have a hula "lesson" where you can learn something easy like the "Hukilau" or "Little Grass Shack."

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:21 AM
SG

Check the paper or tour books for any Keiki Hula shows.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:48 AM
rhonda

I would check with the local community center. Also, I had come across a clipping of free hula shows and classes put on by kids as well. And, I am sure if you asked someone magaging the free shows they put on at the malls and things (schedule also on calendar) you could probably arrange for her to attend one of the practices. I will look for a link to those. Let me know if you would like me to email it to you.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:17 PM
travellyn

Okay, this is more of an anecdote than useful information, but here it is:

When I was 5 years old, my family went to Hawaii for a few days. My mother took hula lessons through the hotel, as far as I can remember. I just sat and watched. Later that day, I was sitting at the bar (As a 5 year old? Well, that's another story) with my mom while she had a drink. There was Hawaiian music playing and I absent-mindedly started doing the hula in my chair. She thought it was hilarious.

The two points here are: at least at some time, you could get hula lessons in your hotel as a tourist activity, and a 5 year old can catch on just fine to adult lessons.