Hudson River Valley

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudson River Valley

We would like to take a short trip to the Hudson River Valley at the end of October or first week in November. We live in Central NJ and would like to spend 2 nights, possibly 3. We would like to go to the Culinary Institute for lunch or dinner and just meander around the area. Any suggestions for what to see or do? We like to bike ride (we bring our bikes), some easy hiking, are foodies, sightsee, and just enjoy whatever the area has to offer for a short and relaxing couple of days away. Any suggested itineraries or areas to visit? As always, thank for your suggestions. I could not plan a trip without my Fodorites!
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 06:01 PM

We spent a week driving from Tarrytown to Kinderhook and back, couldn't do everything we wanted.
Some highlights:
Kykuit
Manitoga
West Point
Roosevelt sites
Olanna
Storm King
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 10:14 PM

Once past the NYC part, I write about our trip up the Hudson Valley:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...east-coast.cfm
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 04:20 AM

There's so much right there by the CIA that you don't need to drive far. I'd certainly add the Walkway Over the Hudson to your list of things to do. I think there's some chance you might still see some fall colors by late October given how late the leaves are changing around here. The Roosevelt sites (both the FDR Library and the Eleanor Roosevelt home) are well worth a stop, as is Storm King, depending on the weather. The Vanderbilt Mansion is also worth a stop, but it's being renovated, and I don't know when they'll be done, but it's still open for tours.

Kykuit is open until November 12 (but you must reserve your spot in advance).

To be honest, there's a better restaurant than those at the CIA. I'd certainly recommend Blue Hill at Stone Barns as well. It may be difficult decide what you want to do for meals up in the area. There are good choices.

I probably wouldn't bother with going all the way to Hudson to see Olana if you are only going to be there for 2 nights, but if you are going to be there for three, then it's worth driving up. However, you should be aware that most of the tours are already booked. If you do go there, then make sure to visit the Thomas Cole House as well, which is just over the river in Catskill. It's open through November, and it's usually easier to get in there on early fall weekends. There's a great deal to do in the Hudson/Kinderhook area, but it's another hour or more drive from Hyde Park.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:37 AM

I'd put these three destinations at the top of your list:

1. Storm King Art Center in Cornwall. (It's only open until the end of this month.) It's especially beautiful this time of the year.
2. The Roosevelt Museum in Hyde Park.
3. Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate in Pocantico Hills (adjacent to Tarrytown).
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Another vote for Storm King and the Roosevelt sites, as well as Olana and West Point. We also liked the little towns of Cold Spring and Rhinebeck. The Roosevelt Library was being remodeled when we were there, and my friends were just at the new one and said it's fabulous. If you want something quicker and more casual for lunch, our lunch at the cafe (not the restaurant) at the CIA was fantastic.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 07:18 AM

What sf7307 heard about the remodeling job at the Roosevelt Musem is quite accurate. It is indeed fabulous.

As for the previously mentioned Stone Barns for dining, keep two things in mind:

1. It's very expensive.

2. You may already be too late to make reservations.

PS: It is quite good!

Olama would be a good choice also even if you can't get a tour reservation. It's quite magnificent in the foliage season. If you go, make sure you walk down the hill and view the property from below to get brilliant foliage memory. A camera photo must!
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I can say that the leaves are not nearly as far along in Hudson as they usually, so there may very well be decent color left in late October.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 10:51 AM

Doug is right about the foliage. It's getting there, but still at least a week or so away away from peaking. Will keep you posted.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 11:03 AM
J62

I can confirm that further north in NY / western MA / southern VT leaves are also about a week behind normal color change.

If there are no major rain/wind storms then chances are good you'll get some late fall color when you arrive. If we get another storm or 2 coming through it will knock a lot of leaves off the trees in minutes.