Hubbell Trading Post....GEM??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the AAA book Hubbell Trading Post is a GEM. It is off our route, but hubby is willing to re-route if it is truely worth it. We love natural wonders, Indian sights and a little souvenir shopping wouldn't hurt. Anyone been there?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM

It's OK but I surely wouldn't deviate too far from my route to go there.

What is your current 'route'? There are likely other Navajo trading posts that aren't as big but are just about as likely to have similar items if you are going thru Cameron or Monument Valley or Chinle (Canyon de Chelly) etc. And for sure you'll see plenty of road-side stands selling Navajo souvenirs once you are off the freeway.

Bill
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I was just there in June. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. As Bill_H said, there are many other opportunities to shop for Indian souvenirs. They did have Navajo rugs and Hopi sand paintings, though, if you are really interested in them. I didn't see them many other places. Have fun on your trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM

The Hubbell Trading Post is an interesting historical/cultural stop. In the past, it was known for its very special rug room (we purchased two rugs there from Bill Malone, a well-known Indian trader, many years ago), not sure if this is still the case. As Bill H said, we also found excellent galleries for Native American arts at the Thunderbird Lodge and the Cameron trading post. Again, this was several years ago. At Ganado, you are close to the Hopi mesas, Walpi in particular, which, for me, is a "don't miss."
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight. Traveling from ABQ to Sedona. (Spending a week in SF,Taos,& ABQ) Going next month and looks like hubby at this point plans on taking RT. 40 most of the way. Any other suggests are appreciated. THANKS
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Traveling from ABQ to Sedona ... plan on taking RT. 40

Hubbell is probably closer to I-40 than the other well-known trading posts mentioned in this thread, so if you really want to vist a TP then that's probably the best one.

There are many Indian artifacts for sale in SF and Taos, also in Sedona. In SF for example there are numerous jewelry salespeople lining the main square. But prices are likely to be higher than on a Rez trading post. For example I was once in the market for 3-4 quality Navajo rugs and the prices at the shops in Sedona (definitely NOT your basic trading post) were more than double what similar quality rugs cost at the Cameron Trading Post on the Rez, which is where I bought mine.

If you are going to fly out of Phoenix then the Heard Museum used to have a lot of quality rugs etc for sale at better prices than the glitzy shops in Taos or Sedona (or Scottsdale), but as I recall usually more pricey than the Rez trading posts.

Given you are bypassing most of the Navajo reservation by staying on I-40 a side-trip to the Hubbell TP might make a nice detour.

Bill