Favorite Grand Canyon area/ SW memories

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning another trip to the SW and just wondered what others LOVED about their trips to the area.

Favorite GC memory - seeing it in a snowstorm and then dusted with snow for days afterward (spring break trip)

Runner-up - mule ride

New goal - staying in Route 66 era motels
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Lucky you. I wish I was planning another South-West USA trip. I toured part of this area in February for ths first time. The highlight for me was probably Monument Valley. My top GC memory is the walk to Plateau Point and back and some of the viewpoints on the Desert View Drive.

There are so many great things to see. We saw as much as we could but realise there's plenty more there. That's just an excuse for another trip out that way!

For your new goal, have you stayed at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ? That's a bit of Route 66 nostaligia for you. I loved it for a night (although the person I was travelling with couldn't wait to move on!)
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

I DO have reservations at the Wigwam! I am ridiculously excited about it too.

Just made reservations at Cameron Trading Post too. Trying to slow down a bit and see a smaller area this time. Of course, "smaller" is such a relative term with SW driving distances.

Today's post about renting watercraft on Lake Powell made me start thinking about doing that!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM

What part of the Southwest will you be in, Starrsville? I'm trying hard to think of a Route 66 motel in Albuquerque that doesn't cater to hookers and crackheads.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM

I loved the mule ride, too. My favorite area around the GC is Havasu and the falls.

Have you been to Sedona?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM

My favorite memory was our first (and so far, only) visit to the GC in '04. Stayed at Bright Angel Cabins in July. It was perfect! Shortly after arrival and checking in, this huge thunderstorm came and just rumbled over the canyon for hours...almost like it was stuck in canyon. What a magnificant sight. After it was dark, it would just light up and give you glimpses of this massive canyon. It was awesome!