Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How would you divide your time in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I will be on my honeymoon for 16 full days (incl. inter-island travel). How would you recommend dividing your time between Kauai and the BI?

We would like to spend some time on the beach, but this won't be our focus. We are more into seeing natural attractions and local flavor.

My inclination is to spend more time in Kauai, even if it is smaller.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM

Well, congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Spending more time on Kauai (maybe 10/6?) would also be my inclination since I think that Kauai is super romantic and perfect for a honeymoon in that regard.

I am sure that you will get many other opinions on that, all valuable. I would say just follow your inclinations. You really cannot make a mistake here, there is not a "wrong" mix.

Anna Roz
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon!

I would spend more time on the Big Island because the island is so much larger and there is quite a bit to see. I'd do something like this:

* 8 nights on Kauai - the Hyatt is very nice... but I'd also consider the northern side of Kauai in the summer

* 5 nights on the Kohala Coast of the BI, in one of the upscale hotels there, or at the Kona Village Resort, in the Kailua-Kona area (I personally would choose the latter).

* 3 nights in the VNP area of the BI - maybe Kilauea Lodge which is rustic, but romantic.

If 3 nights sounds too short for one location, then I'd modify it to 7/ 5/4.

I'd also try to fly into Kailua-Kona and fly out of Hilo, if possible, as not to backtrack.

What time of year will you be visiting?

Have fun planning!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Hello and thank you for the advice. We are going in June.

Regaring the suggestion to stay in the VNP area-- we were considering staying south of Hilo, along the coast (Paradise Park or Hawaiian Beaches). Would you recommend this over staying in the VNP area?

Flying out of Hilo sounds like the best way to go.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM

I suggest staying in Puna and driving to Volcano to visit the park. It's sunnier in Puna and there are tide pools and warm springs ponds to swim in. http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html...anui_park.html

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/mlcd/waiopae.htm
It takes about 45 minutes-1 hour to drive to Volcano from there. The town of Pahoa has lots of local flavor and an interesting Sunday market. Paolo's restaurant in town has good Italian and is byob.
We have stayed several times in rentals in Kapoho Beach Lots. We have rented from apoparadise in the past http://www.apoparadise.com/ And we are renting the Lagoon House for our vacation next month http://www.lagoonhouse.com/

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM

Congratulations!! I too went to Hawaii on my honeymoon....15 years ago! We go back almost every year now....we like it so much that we bought a timeshare on Kauai...so you know which island I prefer. It really depends on what you want to do but you really can't go wrong, as the others have said, on either island.

Kauai is more laid back and has some great beaches! The BI has nice beaches but remember that there is quite a few of lava beaches too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM

Congratulations Pinktea.

I agree with martym. The Puna area is great. Much less developed. We rented a house in Kapoho for a week and had a blast. Did not like Ahalanui Pond, but loved the snorkling in the Kapoho tide pools. Search my name for a review on it. Volcano NP is an easy drive. Be sure to visit the Volcano Winery near the NP. Pohoa has a farmers market on Saturday. It was so fun to hang with the locals.

Kauai is beautiful and romantic (went there on my honneymoon also--27 years ago), but we keep returning to the BI.

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM

Oh, yes. The Puna District would be nice!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM

I would spend more time on Big Island.

Lots of info.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM

For an interesting review of the islands' special places check the following link from alternative-hawaii there are many other links from this site as well.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/special/index.html

We keep returing to Kauai for the natural beauty of the "Garden Isle" and the hiking in Kokee State Park in the Waimea Canyon area (Grand Canyon of the Pacific). As well as the many beaches (some not so often mentioned). That said we have been to Hawaii (Big Island), Maui, Molokai, Lanai (loved it - though more expensive now unless you take a day trip from Maui), and Oahu. All of the islands have something special to offer, it just depends on your focus as to what you desire.

Best wishes for your journey.