Search

how to ship?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to ship?

I have a bunch of stuff I need to ship from Arizona to NY. I was going to rent a car and make a road trip out of it but I dont see it as being much fun. Anyway, I can back most of the cloths and stuff but I'd still have to ship a tv and maybe a few small items but I was wondering how to ship the TV? Like company wise or UPS and is it going to be worth it b/c its a 27" which is worth like $250.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:09 PM

When my husband graduated from college, we shipped everything from Maine to Seattle, through UPS. He had about 11 boxes (after 5 years of college). I'm not sure what the total cost was, as my mother in law paid for it. I do know it costs less if you ship from business to business than from residence to residence. You can also save money if you ship over ground rather than by air.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

You say business to business. I can ship it to my families business but my stuff is from college so I dont really have a business there. Would I go to a shipping business like mailboxes etc. or something to my business in NY, would that be considered business to business?
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:47 PM

The most economical way to ship your stuff is with UPS. I have shipped many things with them when moving, including my television, and had no problems.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I pretty much figured i was going ups. Do they have packaging stuff or is there any other way i can get a box to ship it?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Most folks save the box their TV came in? Otherwise, weigh it, phone UPS with the weight and the two zip codes and get their rate. If you have to buy packing materials for the TV, it will probably be more economical to bring the TV in the car and ship your other stuff. Or, buy a new TV when you arrive.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:07 PM

I've had 2 experiences *maybe 3* with ups losing my stuff for weeks on end...it was eventually found and I became best friends with someone at the UPS in Miami named Jose...and had to mail him a picture of me in my duffel bag (my friends thought it was funny and took a picture when I fit inside it---and they Id'd it by that) I got my bag 3 weeks later than anticipated...another year I also got my bag three weeks later than anticipated...the third time my bag went to my someone's house in Jax, Fl and hers went to mine in Mad, Wi.......I reccomend the insurance!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:04 PM

sleepycali,

You can purchase boxes at UPS to pack the less valuable stuff yourself. Items such as a television I would recommend paying a little extra and having UPS pack it for you.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:56 AM

UPS doesn't pack things, although MBE does, owned by UPS, but expect to be raped on charges. Nonetheless, something like a TV must be shipping in its original packing crate else forget it, it's guaranteed to be broken and UPS insurance wont cover something like a monitor or TV that isn't shipping in its original crate.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:46 PM

stevecat,

UPS packed several large items for me when I moved. Maybe not all UPS locations pack items.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:44 PM

FedEx Ground can do what UPS does except its cheaper. check out fedex.com.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:47 PM

thanks for this info - i'm moving back to LA after graduation and this is exactly what i needed to read!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

i checked out the rates on fedex and they were cheaper so i'm gonna go with fedex. Thanks beenie.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:55 PM

(This is going to sound like a business ad) Mail Boxes Etc. just changed ownership and name to "The UPS Store" - the name says it all. They will pack, ship and give you estimate before you commit to shipping an item. When I shipped a set of antlers from Boston to my brother in Florida (they were a family "treasure" - it's a long story but I am glad those gross things are out of my house) they even created a custom box in which to put them.

If it turns out you have a lot of stuff, you can also get a regular moving company to put your stuff on a van with other people's stuff - they either drive it directly cross country or drop in warehouse to wait for enough for full load and then drive it cross country. Depending on how much stuff you have, this could be cheaper (we did this with 3 boxes and 3 pieces of furniture)