How to plan for sun/rain in Maine next week!

Old Sep 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to plan for sun/rain in Maine next week!

Summer is over! How to pack for mid-60s sun and rain and how to plan a trip in this weather.
Everything we had planned for on our trip to Maine is outdoors. Does September rain in Maine (sorry) mean a downpour or is it generally manageable. Are the lobster shacks still open? Ugh, I have no idea how to pack for this trip that consistently changes on me.
Any tips?
Thanks so much
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM

I'm sure you will lots of good info on this post, so guess I will start with plan on cooler during the days and cold at night you could even see some upper 30's-30's at night so bring a warmer coat/jacket and plan on layering.

After all we all want those beautiful colours of fall to start and it's the crip cold night time temps that start the leaves changing colours.

I'd suggest checking with weather.com before you leave so you have an extended forcast and bring foul weather raincoat/umbrella because you will probably need it, or pick one up as needed there.

As for the lobsster (pronounced lob-sta)shaks some will be open for the influx of leaf peepers, and some may be closed after the labor day holiday, but I'm guessing most will still be open.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM

a sweater, a fleece, a tshirt, a wind/rain breaker? I don't see the big deal. Everything will be open unless it is their day off.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...enday/USME0065
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Good advice to check weather.com. Just pack layers, a fleece for cool nts and an umbrella. Temps between day and night can be very different. Everything should be open. Sept is great in New England.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM

You didn't say where in Maine. Our favorite lobster shack is Waterman's Beach near Rockland. They are open Wed- Sun until Sept 26. http://www.watermansbeachlobster.com/ You'll have to check each shack for their open hours. Some might be weekends only now.
It could be a downpour. It could be a sprinkle. A friend who was visiting north of Bar Harbor said the storm surf (Schoodac Point?) was magnificent. I would bring waterproof shoes or at least an extra pair so you aren't walking around in wet Nike's. If you don't have the right clothing, stop in at the Kittery Trading Post or LL Bean. Even if not rainy, a boat ride could be pretty chilly.
Last year we thought it was too rainy for Waterman's so we followed sign to a lobster benefit dinner for a volunteer fire dept. It was under a tent, weather brightened and what could be better than a small, casual local event.
For indoor activities you might look for wineries, breweries, or a good place to have some hot tea and a big piece of pie. Look for local events, museums, etc.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone..I took a deep breath and let go of my packing angst....ahhhhh. Now I know what to throw into the suitcase and it all makes sense. Waterproof leather shoes and socks, walking shoes, T-shirts. jeans and khakis fleece and a raincoat. Something to wear to a fancy dinner and something comfortable to drive to New Haven then on to NJ in. We are staying in some great Inns and B&B's. so whatever the weather, the experience will be amazing.