How to get to downtown Washington DC from Baltimore International Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a strong chance I need to travel to Washington DC from Dallas on Sunday Oct 24. My flight arrives late (1:00 am) - I am staying in Tyson's corner for a work function with my husband. I will be traveling solo. Would the best/easiest mode at that time of night to hire a car?

Thanks in advance.

Dawn
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Here's a link to your choices for ground transportation from BWI. The only options at that time of day will be taxi, car rental or SuperShuttle. Public transportation will not be available at 1am. http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/...transportation
Plan on at least 1 hour to drive from BWI to Tyson's Corner at that time of day. You're lucky that you aren't trying to make that drive at any other time! (I've encountered unexplained traffic jams at all times of the day, not just rush hour. However, I think that you should be fairly good to go at 1 am.)
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Note: Tyson's Corner is in northern Virginia and not particularly close to downtown D.C. If you are actually driving from BWI to downtown D.C. you can shave some time off that drive.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Any reason that u r not flying in to IAD? IAD is much closer if your final destination is Tyson's Corner. Your taxi/shuttle fare from BWI to Tysons may make up for any airfare savings you may get by flying into BWI.
Agree that it will take at least 1 hour to get to Tyson's Corner from BWI.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Interesting Longhorn - I was hoping to be able to go into DC during the day while husband was working I am still working on flights - I do NOT want to have an hour commute at 1:00 am.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM

What Longhorn and Yes said.

The best way to get into DC from Tyson's would be to take the Metro from West Falls Church Metro station into downtown DC. Which Metro stop you will get off at in DC will depend on what you're plans are while visiting DC. I would not try to drive into downtown DC from Tyson's.

Have a great trip.

jdc
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, Tyson's Corner is not a great place if you want to get into D.C., especially since there is a lot of road construction going on there now. (I don't even like driving around Tyson's when there's not any construction.) Driving into D.C. is a possibility, but be aware that traffic will be bad during the weekdays and parking is difficult and/or expensive in D.C.
You can take public transportation, but since there is not a Metro stop in Tyson's Corner, you'd have to take a combination of bus and Metro to get to D.C. Check the Trip Planner feature on the Metro website for routes and fares: www.wmata.com
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM

We once hired a driver from IAD to Johns Hopkins U in Baltimore. It cost $100 plus tip. It was the best solution for us. I found the service by searching the IAD website. Sorry, I don't remember it's name.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM

http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/...s/supershuttle

Above shows 24-hour service from BWI, but you need to check with them about your final destination. One of the shuttle services ends at 2 a.m. so make certain. At that time of day, I'd let someone else do the driving.

Perhaps your hotel has a shuttle service to down town? To BWI???? Yes, Dulles would be closer by up to 30 minutes but I don't believe that Southwest lands there. Anyone know?
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have cannot leave Dallas till after 6:30 pm on Sunday - I have Delta, American and South West miles that I am working with. I am trying to plan a multi leg trip - Dallas - DC - DC - SNA - SNA - Dallas. I was hoping though while dh was working to spend time in DC. I have only been there once before - sounds like it is a lot of work. I will not have and do not want a rental car.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM

National or Dulles are much better options than BWI. Unless you are saving $200+ on your ticket, I'd avoid it.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If your hotel offers a shuttle to the Falls Church Metro, it would then take u about 20 minutes to get to downtown (Metro Center) via metro.
http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/tri..._form_solo.cfm
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM

I agree with the change to National or Dulles. It's going to be a pain from BWI.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
And, with all of the construction in Tysons Corner right now there's also lots of lane and exit closures at night, making it a challenging drive for anyone. If you've got the option, stay in a Tysons hotel with shuttle service to West Falls Church--it's a 25 minute Metro ride to the Smithsonian Metro station.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

I might just pass on the entire DC portion.I was off on my geography. I assumed it was very close. I have a flight on hold into Dulles...