Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How To Amuse Yourself During Horrible Long Layovers - IDEAS??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an upcoming 5 hour layover in Detroit Airport, right before an 8 1/2 hour international flight. I've never been to this airport...looking for ideas on how to amuse myself. What do people do to keep sane while waiting for the plane?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM

Hey Sallie
Read, crossword puzzles, needlework if you do it? Or maybe a good time to start something new. Or work on a travel journal for yourself, out line your itinerary, make a travel folder.........Or hang out in the Crown Room if its an option for you.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM

Last time we flew out of Newark, we had a lot of time to sit around. We were able to use the Presidents Club and we had lunch, I browsed through magazines I had brought with me then we went to the bookstore in the airport and bought something for the trip. Just do everything slowly and do not look at your watch!
Usually we just shop around the airport shops and eat at one of the restaurants.
I am always amazed at the people who are able to sleep, sitting in chairs waiting to get on the plane!

Have a good trip~
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:43 PM

Airports, I think, are some of the weirdest cross-sections of humanity to be found anywhere. People watch (discretely).

Delayed 9 hours before a 17 hour flight last December. Read. Bought extra book and read more.

Trapped in terminal in Lafayette, LA last year. An airport where one small plane arrives per HOUR. Sat there for six hours (I'd already turned in my rental car). No people, no gift shop or book store open. Have you seen Castaway? What I wouldn't have given for a soccer ball and a wig...

Definitely, bring a good book or some puzzles or something.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:20 PM

When I have a layover before a long flight, I try to occupy my time with more active things. I'll be doing enough sitting in the airplane. So I walk, and walk, stop for a soda or a drink, and walk some more.

If your layover is in the new Northwest terminal (don't know if it's the international terminal as well, but I do remember seeing a duty-free shop), it's pretty nice, with some better-looking shops. It also has one of the most interesting fountains I've ever seen (if you see it, you'll know what I mean).
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM

If you have a cell phone and plenty of minutes, it's a great time to catch up with friends and family.

Getting on a long flight as you are, I would agree with Lexma90 about walking a lot. Getting some exercise and moving around will help you relax/sleep on the next flight.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:04 AM

Hi Sallie,

I'm with the others. If the timing is right, kill some time with a meal, since airplane food is generally bad anyway. Walk all around the airport briskly to get some exercise, use those cell phone minutes, and read.

I always have a lot to read - magazines I am behind on (I read these first so my luggage gets lighter as I go), the book I am currently reading, and then a spare book for unplanned delays/down time.

Karen
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:44 AM
Cassandra

I march.

Especially in ATL or DFW I cover all the terminals and try to do it at a brisk pace. But I do have to admit that I couldn't do that before I found a shoulder-bag carryon with wheels and a handle. Since I always pack stuff in case my checked bag gets lost, plus camera and Bose ( ;-) ) earphones, it gets heavy. But it's great to feel physically a little tired once I finally get strapped into my seat.

Granted, you can't do that for 5 hrs., but your actual free time is probably closer to 4. Not sure I'd recommend eating, since they'll probably feed you twice on the plane, but fluids are a good idea, at least until about 1 1/2 hrs. before you board.

You can now rent DVD players in some airports, but that's a better idea for killing time on the plane (if you can't stand another Adam Sandler movie).

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:58 AM

I bought a hand held yatzee game and a poker one too.They can be addictive.Time flies by with those.
Some airports like Honolulu have small rooms where you can have a nap and shower.They rent them by the hour.Do not know if Detroit has them.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:01 AM

For long lay-overs I try to do a variety of activites (slowly) and not watch my watch, like have a meal with several courses at the nicest restaurant in the terminal; read newspapers, magazines, books; listen to music; stroll around for awhile and people watch and/or shop; catch up on making phone calls; bring cards to write for events that are coming up; write letters; stop in the lounge for a drink ... you get the idea ... just fill the time up with alot of little activities and it won't be so bad.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
bonniebroad

As someone noted above, the hand-held electronic games are great for layovers. I can play "Millionaire" until I'm cross-eyed! By the time you also eat a meal, cruise the shops, etc. time flies (or at least, doesn't crawl!)

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:48 AM

I often catch a hotel shuttle bus to a nearby full service hotel. The food is better than any on airport premises, and the lobby more comfortable than the waiting area in the airport. Some places will allow use of health club/fitness room for a reasonable fee.

I don't know if I'd venture too far away with an international flight ahead of me though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:18 AM

I usually like to read and walk. And if your flights are through the new terminal at Detroit (flying Northwest), there is a great fountain to watch where you can kill 30 minutes easily.

There are many shops, and a few restaurants (none wonderful, but some decent) to break up the monotony.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:22 AM

some airports have places that offer seated massage - nice and relaxing before the long flight.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:41 AM

My favorites?
1. Walking and stretching.
2. Movies on DVD player or laptop
3. Nap
4. I have military ID (dependant of retiree) so I can use USO facilities, which are great and free!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM

I like to page famous and fictitious people, just to see if they show up.

Paging Mr. Kafka, Mr. Franz Kafka. . .

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:37 AM

I read alot (5-10 books a week), and rely on libraries for most of my books (otherwise I'd be broke!). During layovers I browse the bookstores to see what books I might be interested in reading, so that when I return from vacation I have a long list of requests for the library. It's like previewing a movie without the ear-shattering audio! Also, people watching is ALWAYS fascinating, especially watching those folks who are unfamiliar with mirrors.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM

I hear that JetBlue is putting some 'spa' type club rooms at a few airports. They will be offering massages, among other things. Sounds good to me!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:58 AM

The Northwest terminal has the fountain and the Westin Hotel connected. The Lounge/restaurant is pretty cool. Very modern with huge bamboo plants all around. Once when we had a 3 hour layover in Ottawa Ontario, we called a cab and did a brief but nice tour of the capital. Good luck.