How "stroller-friendly" is the DC Metro?

Aug 13th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Mom

How "stroller-friendly" is the DC Metro?

Planning a weekend in Washington, DC with the family... We mostly plan on visiting the Smithsonian, the mall, the monuments, etc., and we'll be staying at a hotel in that area. Am I crazy to think that we can get around mainly by walking? If we do want to venture out to Union Station or the Zoo, will it be difficult with a stroller? I've been on the Metro before (years ago), and it was great. I'm just not sure if traveling with a stroller will be as easy. Also, what about the TourMobile, etc. Can't ride that with a toddler, can we?

Aug 13th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Mom

And here's another question (for my older kids)...
Are scooters allowed on the sidwalks/paths along the Mall?

Aug 13th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Bill

The Metro is stroller friendly, but can be difficult during rush hour. Try to stay away between 7-9 a.m. and 4-6:30 p.m. Pay attention to the elevators too, they can be tricky, and put you on the wrong side of the tracks pretty easily.

Aug 13th, 2001, 10:24 AM
kim

Did the metro and tourmobile with not only a stroller, but a wheelchair too. Both were very easy. Look for the elevators at the metro stations. DC seems to be very wheelchair (and hence, stroller) friendly, but beware of rutted sidewalks, etc., it did get bumpy at times.

We didn't have any problem on the tour mobile other than an occasionally antsy toddler.

Aug 13th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Roger

As Rush Limbaugh would say, dittos to Bill. The subway is stroller friendly but tends to be overcrowded from 7-9 AM and 4:45-6:15 at night. Exceptions can be the Green Line which links the more criminally inclined neighborhoods in Washington and the Blue Line going to Addison Road in Maryland.