Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Expedia.com: Great airfare deal--should I go for it???

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Trish

o.k. people, Expedia.com has "best fare" airfare which is an excellent deal. Since there will be 4 of us flying, the savings are significant. Only thing is, you are notified of what flights, airline, times, etc. AFTER you make the purchase. Anybody out there ever use this service? I'm a little apprehensive, but it is such a good deal! Help!!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 05:30 AM
angela

I am using Expedia for my package to Las Vegas. I leave on Thursday, will let you know how it goes.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:07 AM
thereuare

Since you're "buying blind", i would compare the rate offered to the rate at www.hotwire.com (which offers a similar type of service). Then, before buying either one, i would try to get an even better price at www.priceline.com. Information on bidding strategies (as well as bonus money added to your bid for Priceline and discounts codes for Hotwire) are available at www.biddingfortravel.com.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:09 AM
thereuare

Just so you know, you can view the price at Hotwire, but once you agree to buy, you OWN the tix (so there is NO backing out saying that you don't like your flight times).

Once you make an offer at Priceline, IF it is accepted, you OWN the tickets.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:34 AM
chuck

Trish,

sounds like thereuare has offered a good approach. I have only used the Expedia best fare option. In fact, I used it for the first time this weekend for a roundtrip from Charlotte to Dallas. The most competitive traditional fare I could find was $650. I typed in my preference for evening flights and took a chance on Expedia's best fare. I got a nearly identical itinerary to what I would have had for $180--direct flight on an Airbus 319 via USAIR. Needless to say, I am a happy camper.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Amy

Trish, please let us know if you do use the Expedia "Best Fare". I have seen a couple good deals, but never good enough for me to take the chance on. I would really like to hear about your experience.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:13 PM
paula

We are Expedia fanatics!! I have bought a least six pairs of roundtrip tickets from Boston/Providence to LA in the past year from thier website - nothing was over $200!! I have tried Travelocity, hotwire, orbitz, and Sidestep - expedia has come through for us every time. We've always used major airlines, they have always accepted out FF miles at check in and we have never had a problem. The only drawback in the best fare option is that you cannot choose your airline or time of flight. If that is not important to you, and the savings are - go for it. They are very reputable and great to work with.

Incidentally, our last two trips to LA were purchased through Priceline - no problems there either!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Cissy

Paula: Do I understand you correctly when you say you have booked a flight through Expedia and then used your frequent at the airport check-in? How does that work..you buy on a credit card from Expedia so how do you manage to get a refund?? We use FF once a year but I've never used any of the travel websites to do it. I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!