Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How smooth are the pavements (side-walks)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is not completely mad. As my moniker suggests I am currently tottering around in the seasons six inch megga platforms. With a trip to NY and Philadelphia planned could do with some pavement advice.

Here in Europe any Germanic country is pristine but the Med is a nightmare. Also any heel above 4 inches causes problems descending so is it hilly?

Don't waste your time telling me I'm an idiot (that fact is well established) I have my mood boards and am genetically programmed to be a weapon of mass consumption.

If the pavements are pot holed I guess it will just have to be the high heel sneekers, but that would be such a shame...
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Just back from NYC. Definately NOT smooth in most places.

~Liz
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM

No it wouldn't be a shame -- enjoy your trip and skip the 6 inch meggas. (You might actually want to try flats in NY. You already know what you are so I won't go there.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Many NYC women navigate the not so smooth sidewalks in NYC with heels. They will ruin the heels of your shoes and every now and then your heel may get stuck in a crack in the sidewalk or one of the subway grates,but that is the price of fashion and being a fashionista.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM

If you gave us fair warning we could have removed all the black blothes of discarded gum and dog poop that the evil citizens strategically place. Since that is not an option I suggest you wear stilts, so you can see in advance where the problems may lie.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM

It's not hilly like San Francisco, but there are hills (Murray Hill, Carnegie Hill, Lenox Hill etc.) Your biggest problem will be the uneven pavement and the metal grates everywhere (often to vent the subway). Unless you plan on hiring a limo, save the heels for dinner in a restaurant and wear something sensible for getting from a to b.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I ruined a pair a heels in just one walk getting them caught in several grates.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

OK you have all convinced me. The wooden beaded clog Stellas will be strictly cartobar this trip. Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Looks like a good excuse to purchase these....

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-sho...1-carvela-khol

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Years ago I knew a woman with a wooden leg who wore high heel shoes to navigate the streets of NYC. When I asked her why, she said "Fashion dictates."

You seem to be cut from the same cloth, and if she could do it, so can you.

I've opted for sensible shoes and no foot, knee, or hip problems. But that's just me.

HTTY
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM

I've been to New York, and I think its sidewalks are nowhere near as uneven as the cobblestones and worn marble steps of Rome. I agree that NYC's grates and sidewalk cracks can spell peril for narrow heels, but they are not dangerous enough to warrant wearing white sneakers (sneakers may be a good idea for Rome, but only in black).
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
yk

Since you mentioned Philadelphia, I can tell you the sidewalks in Philadelphia are 1000x worse than NYC. The old section of Philadelphia sidewalks are paved with century-old bricks, which are super UNeven. If you can navigate Philadelphia, the flat concrete slabs of NYC's sidewalks will be a breeze.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

I agree Rome is lethal, even for kitten heels. Athens is just badly repaired. Madrid, Barcelona and Seville are very good but Basel, Vienna and Paris excel. London is a mixed bag.

When I said sneakers, I actually had something like this in mind

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/p...elsneekers.jpg

Which are far more sensible than my normal footwear of choice in these

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/p.../pinkdress.jpg
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM

I'd vote for the other ones (the black studded flats) you linked to. Bring the "normal footwear" but only wear it out at night when you might take a cab to and from)
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Trust us when we tell you bring FLATS to wear. Yes we wear heels to and from work (ok I actually wore tennies so my feet didn't hurt) and out to dinner or a show or a date, but for running around it's sandals (flats or almost flats) and comfort.

Today for example I had a couple of meetings and I figure I walked 3 miles, easy to do here. If you are visiting and touring figure you will be out all day on your feet and a slow pace walk is about 2 miles an hour if you are out and about all day, say 8 hours that's 16 miles give or take a bit, do you really want to do that on stilts?

If your feet hurt can you really enjoy what you are seeing?

Bring flats.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM

In New York the pavement is in the street and it's uneven in many places, with potholes, sewer grating at may levels and you need to watch your step even in flats. The sidewalks vary. those on the major avenues are usually fairly smooth - but corners have cut outs for strollers and wheelchairs. Plus any avenue or street with subways underneath and gratings all over the place (and any high heel would definitely fit all the way down in the grating).

You can certainly wear stilettos if you want - but you will have to be looking at the street the whole time to avoid pitfalls. (Locals can do it since they have the pitfalls memorized.)

I and most of my colleagues wear either flats or fairly low wedges when walking a lot - and change into higher heels at the office. I wear very high heels only when going out for the evening and will have to walk only from the door to the cab.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Fashionista, the shoes in the links provided are all worn in NYC on a daily basis.

The flat sandals are also very current and you will see lots of other women in similar styles.

I'm guessing that you will be visiting stores like Saks, Bloomingdales, Barney's, etc. Wear your heels there and you will fit right in.

The nice thing about New York City is that people value their individual style no matter how impractical it may seem to others.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Women started wearing sneakers to work about thirty years ago. There was a transit strike and people walked to work and then changed shoes when they arrived at the office. Some continued the habit.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Years ago, I wore heels with everything and for any occasion. I walked miles in them and it was no problem for me. The only time I didn't wear heels was to the beach or working in the garden.

I will have to say that the heels were not as high as they are now, about 3 1/2 inches was the highest, so that made a big difference. I'm not sure how I would be in the "stilts" that are now popular, although I sure love them.

I don't wear heels anymore, I just can't. Life, feet, and body changes. LOL