Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How scary is Grand Canyon's Bright Angel Trail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I need some details about how steep, wide, scary Bright Angel Trail leading into Grand Canyon might be. Life-long problem with acrophobia keeps me away from some hikes. I did the switchbacks to the overlook at Tower Falls in Yellowstone with some difficulty, but made it, tho very slowly. Worried about making this trail hike, even if I don't go all the to the river. Perhaps I'm unnecessarily worried. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM

You're asking for subjective judgments from an assortment of people whose attitude towards height ranges from fear of falling from buildings while inside them to adrenalin junkies who wouldn't think twice about scaling the Sears Tower.

If you have the slightest doubt, I'd say don't try it. The doubt itself would be an impediment to finishing.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Are you still going to the GC whether or not you do the hike? Because you’ll know if you can do it when you get there. It isn’t all or nothing – you can just go back up the trail at any time. My husband is afraid of heights but we hiked all the way to Indian Garden and back. But he’s a trooper and hates to miss out on anything because of fear. I wouldn’t recommend the mule ride, that’s for sure.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:36 AM
kealalani

Acrophobia and the Bright Angel Trail will not work IMHO! I have no big fear of heights, but can tell you I trusted the mules more than my footing. But with acrophobia doing the mules would be just as scary.

Hike down as far as you are comfortable, and turn back when or if you must. Best wishes.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I hiked down to the 3-mile resthouse a few years ago, and I don't remember it being scary at all. I would have been terrified riding a mule down, though! And, as other posters mentioned, you can always turn around. Bring LOTS of water!!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:00 AM

My family went to the Grand Canyon a few years ago and we planned to hike to a certain point and then turn around. We got a late start and decided not to go as far as we'd planned.

The first part of the trail is not scary. The hardest part of it is that you go down first and then have to gauge how difficult coming back up will be. I can walk for long distances on flat terrain, but going uphill is a different matter.

Debbie

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Acrophobia affects different people in different ways. I suffer somewhat, particularly on ridges wehere there is a drop on both sides. I hae absolutely no problem with the Bright Angel trail (or the South Kaibab either). We've hiked to the river and back twice. The trail is wide (about 4 feet or so in most places) and well-graded. I would not describe it as "steep"; most of the elevation loss is accomplished with steps (wooden steps like railroad ties), so the trail itself does not slant too sharply downward. There are many places where there is a dropoff on one side, but you can safely stay on the other side of the trail and not even look over the edge.

That said, I persuaded an acrophobic friend to go with us on our last hike there, and was very sorry. I had no concept of the depth of his fear. He did it, but he hated it every step of the way.

The only way to know is to just try it. I suggest you go, but keep your plans flexible--don't commit to hiking any particular distance. See how it fels as you start down, knowing you can always turn around and head back up. My guess is that once you see it, and see all the little kids happily skipping along down the trail, you'll find it OK.

That is, if all the mule poop doesn't turn you around first.

Hiking poles help alot.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. You reminded me that travel is NOT all or nothing. I can turn back whenever I feel the need. Being a middle-aged woman, I want to experience a sight I've read about all of my life & seen only in pictures. I will walk the rim before ruining my trip by pushing beyond my biochemistry. Not needing any extra adrenline, I can still appreciate the beauty. I had suspected the mule-trip would be too much to handle. Thanks for some perspective on the wideness of the trail. All appreciated.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:01 AM

If you begin your hike along the rim near El Tovar or Bright Angel and hike westward you will get to see a bunch of the canyon. As you continue to the west, take time to visit Lookout Studio. As you exit Lookout Studio and again turn west, the rim trail very soon intersects the Bright Angel trail about 1/4 mile from the top. At this point you can decide if you want to hike down Bright Angel trail, up Bright Angel Trail, or return toward El Tovar.

Less than 1/4 mile down from the intersection the trail goes through a short tunnel. Upon exiting the far side of the tunnel look up to the rock wall to your left for some neat pictographs.

I hiked a little way down South Kaibab, which I found to not be as scary as I thought it would. After this I hiked down Bright Angel just a bit and found it to be even less scary. Best of luck to you. I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM

I am afraid of heights especially when not in control. Riding an elevator or standing at the top of a tower bothers me. Before travelling to the Canyon, was not sure of what my reaction would be. I feared walking sideways on a ledge 7000 feet above the Colorado. It was not that way at all. A wide dirt path with wooden ties nailed across for some extra footing. Little children running ahead of their parents a ways. I felt very comfortable. Went down to the first water-stop and came back up. No problems. I am 55 and walk about a mile every day in my neighborhood.
So, like the others said, just try it and turn around and come back when you want. As far as going to the river, that is a major overnight hike of some 8 miles and then back up and in extreme temperatures especially in the Inner Gorge.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Attention acrophobes! Here's how to see the Grand Canyon:

http://www.zbloug.net/nanor/files/20...12_skywalk.jpg