Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How scary is driving the Beartooth Highway for someone with acrophobic tendencies?

How scary is driving the Beartooth Highway for someone with acrophobic tendencies?

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to plan a potential trip to Jackson and Yellowstone next June. I've been doing a lot of reading, and many people say that the Beartooth Highway is the most beautiful drive in America, so I'm trying to decide if we should spend a good part of a day to drive from YP to Red Lodge and back. It sounds like something we shouldn't miss, but my DH has a bit of problem with heights. It's sheer drops he has the most trouble with - for instance, he couldn't get too near the edge at the Grand Canyon (even where there were railings), and definitely not at Horse Shoe Bend near Page, AZ, where there are no railings. However, he had no problem at Bryce Canyon, as the ground slopes away more gradually from the top of the canyon. About 20 years ago we drove up Mount Washington in NH, and he was a wreck driving up - as we went around each bend we couldn't see over the side, so it looked like we could drive right over the edge. He was better driving back down, though, as he could see where we were going. He was also okay driving down the Priest Grade from Yosemite a couple of years ago. How steep are the drop-offs on the Beartooth Highway near the road, and are there guardrails? I'd love to do this drive, but not if DH will be tense and miserable the whole time. He would be doing the driving - he likes to feel in control, he's even more nervous if someone else is driving - and that's fine with me, I'd rather be free to look at the scenery!

Also, I read a suggestion somewhere that if you're driving from YP you can just stop at a viewpoint at the summit, then turn around and head back, rather than driving all the way down to Red Lodge, and still see most of the best scenery, thereby saving a lot of driving time. Someone else said that the best part of the drive is the climb up from Red Lodge to the summit (but remembering DH's trouble with the climb up Mount Washington, I wondered if this road has a similar effect). We could drive to Red Lodge and have lunch there before heading back, or take the first suggestion if it's not really worth the extra time and miles (and if it will save DH from the terror he felt on MW).

Thanks for any information and/or opinions about the highway, and if we do the drive, which option to choose.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM

From my perspective the drive isn't as bad as say coming down or going up to Whitney Portal in the Sierra Nevada or the road down from Tioga Pass to Lee Vining.
However, the best bet for you considering DH is to go from Red Lodge into the park rather than startign in YNP. You could go to Red Lodge via Livingston to Laurel and Route 212.
Some folks like to short circuit the trip by turning off Beartooh onto the Chief Joseph road heading toward Cody, WY. However, I Have never driven that route and can't comment on the conditions.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, boom_boom - unfortunately, I've never been to Whitney Portal or Tioaga Pass, so I can't make a comparison. I looked at the route you suggested, and that is something to consider, but Google Maps says it's over 3 hours drive from Gardiner to Red Lodge that way, a lot of it on interstate highway, and unless it's a particularly scenic route I don't know if we'd want to spend that much time driving without something interesting to see - since we don't have many days to spend in Yellowstone, we want to make the best use of our time. My thought had been to get to Lamar Valley early to look for wildlife, then continue on to the Beartooth Highway. We mostly want to concentrate on the sights in the park, but I thought that since we'll be so close, and I've heard it's so spectacular, we should think about driving the Beartooth Highway, as well.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
maj

I would just have a plan to go to Lamar Valley early and then on to the Beartooth. Then play it by ear on how far you go once you get there, etc. Alot can depend on the weather that day. (and if the road is open -- how early in June are you going?) If it is a day with limited visibility (and the only day you have planned for this) you would probably want to rethink it. Also, you may see something in Lamar Valley that takes up more time than you think (example -- great wolf sighting -- can't really plan those). We had plans to continue to Red Lodge, but spent more time at an animal sighting along the way and also wanted to do the Chief Joseph Highway, so ended up turning around at the viewpoint you are talking about. No regrets, but although some people really love the CJH, I think it would be more impressive if you saw it before the Beartooth. Personally, I wouldn't take 3 hours away from Yellowstone just to see the Beartooth Highway and it doesn't take you long to get there from Lamar.

I don't like heights at all (can't stand ferris wheels)and don't like standing on the edge of mountains. I really didn't have any fear on the Beartooth Highway. I've been on roads I considered much worse, but you really probably need to hear from someone who it bothered to get a better opinion.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I don't think heights or sheer drops will be a problem with the BT. If, however, your DH has a problem with driving narrow winding mountain roads with drop offs then there could be a problem. We have driven it at least a dozen times and have seen many a driver trying to take their half of the road in the middle. Especially if they were to the outer part of the road that dropped off.

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM

It's a gorgeous drive but honestly, in my opinion, there are a few places that might bother your husband, especially if he's driving. As I recall, however, there are guard rails throughout, if that helps.

For us, Red Lodge is the best part (we stay there and drive to Cooke City when we 'do' the Beartooth Highway) so for us giving up Red Lodge is not an option. And yes, it will take the better part of a day to do the whole trip if you allow time to ooh and aah along the way.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM

I dont think you will have any problem .Compared to some of the mountain passes in the Alps it's a piece of cake. The only mountain in the US that was comparable was the road up Mount Washington in N.Hampshire.Keep your eyes on the road and drive in low gear and you'll be alright.Paul
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Here's a shot I took of the Beartooth Hwy. Not so bad really.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/67882068

Is it worth missing a day in Yellowstone? I'd say so if you have at least 6 or more days there. Otherwise I'd say that your time is better spent taking in the unique features inside the park.

Here's a link to all the images
from our Sept. 06 trip.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/yellowstone_06&page=1
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Since mountain driving is one of my pleasures, I can't suggest how this road might effect him. It is twisty and curvy in places but not particularly hazardous.

I do agree with what people have told you but disagree with those who suggest missing it. The route from Cody, WT to the northeast gate at YNP is one of the most spectacularly beautiful drives I have seen any where in the world.

Here's another photo of a small part of it.

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Here is some more info on the BT.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/06jul/03.htm

You could encounter some road construction on the BT/Highway. They have been doing some site prep/clearing and surveying there for the past several years.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate all of this information. I'm glad to hear there are guardrails, that would help. To answer Maj, we'll be there the third week in June.

Peter, your photos are gorgeous, thanks for sharing! They make me very excited to go to Yellowstone. I'm happy to see you got such great pictures using a Sony Cybershot - that's the camera I have. And, Don, thanks for your picture, too - it really does look like an amazing drive. RedRock, that's a very informative web site, thanks for the link. I assume the first picture at the top of the site is the road leading up from Red Lodge? It does look a bit daunting, with some steep drop-offs on the hairpins. I can hardly believe people drive that in big RVs! Can you see that road from the viewpoint on the summit? If we drove as far as that viewpoint, maybe DH could look at it and assess whether he'd have a problem with it, and decide whether to continue down to Red Lodge - does that sound feasible? Is that the steepest part of the road - would the rest of the drive be less unnerving? If we didn't do the bit down to Red Lodge and back up, is the rest of the drive worth the time and miles in terms of gorgeous scenery?

I'll take into account the conflicting opinions on whether it's worth taking time away from seeing things in the park to do thIs. I guess we'll play it by ear and see what we feel like doing, and if the weather is cooperative, but I would like to have the option of doing this drive, and the more info I have, the better a decision I can make (don't want to talk DH into it and have him miserable, but would hate to miss it if we decide we have time and we'd both enjoy it).

Are there places to pull over and take pictures, or let people behind us pass if they want to go faster than we do? It didn't really sound like it from what it says on that web site - I know that the couple of times we've driven Highway 1 in California we frequently had to pull over to let faster drivers go by. We like to take our time to see the scenery, but don't want to hold anybody up.

Thanks for you all taking the time to reply, and for all the helpful answers.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Sara,
Yes, there are ample spots to pull over and admire the scenery/take pictures. I also recall a well-marked turnoff (where along the route, I don't remember) that leads to a fire tower open to the public. It's fun to climb the tower--maybe not for your husband, though--and look for miles in all directions.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:32 AM

If you have driven the Pacific Coast Highway between Carmel and LA then you'll have no problem with the Beartooth.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM

Hi Sara
A few years back, we ended a trip out west in YNP, and plannned to spend the last night of the trip in Red Lodge before we flew home from Billings. I REALLY wanted to drive the Beartooth from YNP to Red Lodge because we'd heard so much about it. But it was the end of September, and it snowed the night before the drive. When we got to the start of the BT access road, they had closed it. So disappointed! But we saw a sign pointing to the Chief Joseph and went that way instead -- it was a lovely and memorable drive, and I would thoroughly recommend it.

By the way, we stayed at the Pollard in Red Lodge, and arrived as they were starting their "Brazil Night" -- wonderful menu and music. A surprise lovely end to a terrific trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM

I don't think it's bad at all. There are very few, if any steep drop offs.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM

Another suggestion, do the beartooth hwy from the park to Red Lodge you will be on the non drop off side then come back via the chief joseph hwy and you will not have to back track will see more counrty and not be on the "scary" side of the road even though I think the trip from Red Lodge to the park is the most senic you might not enjoy it if you are scared. I am in Billings if you have questions or want more info on the route I mentioned contact me at [email protected]
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 05:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'll be going to YNP/GT the start of next Aug and I wrestling with driving Beartooth. I'll be in YNP for 5 days.

Last year I wasn't very happy on Rt 12 in Utah near Escalante. Especially when I wasn't driving.

Signs that read "Steep Road - Sharp Curves" are not conducive to a long life.

jere1mt's suggestion of going from YNP to Red Lodge on the BT and then returning via CJH is getting a bit more tempting.

Something to consider.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM

Beartooth is beautiful. Between Beartooth and YNP there are a few old mining towns that are worth seeing. We stopped at an old general store that was interesting. Beartooth is not a narrow road and is kept in excellent condition. Go for it!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM

Do NOT go from YP toward Red Lodge and turn off at Chief Joseph Hwy to Cody. You will miss everything that makes Beartooth Hwy great. You haven't even begun to start seeing the great scenery by then. I totally agree with turning back before you get to Red Lodge. The section going down to RL is nothing special to me. Chief Joseph is a nice drive but not like BH.

The BH drive doesn't bother me like some other drives--Million Dollar Hwy, Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mt Park, Going to the Sun in Glacier, to name a few.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM

Myer wrote
'Signs that read "Steep Road - Sharp Curves" are not conducive to a long life'

So, I suppose this road to the Yankee Boy mine in Colorado
will not be on your Life List

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/49876619

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -