Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How much time to allow between connecting flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to book airfare today from TPA Florida to either Durango or Albuquerque. No direct flights and when using Kayak I've seen flights into Denver with just an hour between the two. Is this feasible? What is the minimum I should allow?
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM

People often allow that much time and less for domestic flights. Legal connection time is often somewhere around 30 minutes.

Some things to consider. Try not to book on last flight of the day from Denver to NM - if you miss your flight, you will have to spend the night.

If you miss connection because of something that is the airline's fault - crew, mechanical, etc., they have to give you meal or hotel vouchers. If delay is not their fault - like weather - you may not get anything.

If entire trip is on one airline, you have a greater chance of getting re-accomodated if something happens.

Flight delays tend to become cumulative around the country - often if my first leg flight is late on arrival, the second leg is late on departure. But then sometimes your luggage will take additional time to catch up with you.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Where are you ultimately trying to get to? Southwest flies non stop from TPA to ABQ. The drive to Durango from ABQ is 3 hours.

Flying into Durango is very expensive and only United and Delta do so [based on where you are coming from]. Using United, you will have to fly into Denver and then continue on to DRO. Using Delta, you would fly into Salt Lake City and then on to DRO.

The cheapest way to get to ABQ and or Durango is via SW. Of course, you will have to book directly on SW.

This doesn't much matter if you are using FF miles, to get to DRO.

Depending on the time of year of flight, 1 hour is close. In winter -- no way. In summer with weather less of an issue, maybe.

I live outside Durango, if I can answer any other questions. {used to live in ABQ too}.
Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Because of the times offered I ended up booking on Continental with a change of planes in Houston. We have close to 2 hrs. but because it will be lunchtime, I figured why not? The planes aren't gonna give us lunch!!! I really did NOT feel comfortable booking a SW to ABQ connecting with only 25 mins even though I called their ticket agent who assured me it was possible!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Not that it matters since you already booked, but out of curiosity.. are you going to ABQ or to Durango as your final destination.??