How much is dinner for 2 at Roy's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and her fiance are going to honeymoon on Kauai. For a shower gift, I would like to give her a gift card for Roy's for dinner. It's been a long time since I've been there. Would $100 cover salad, entree, dessert, bottle of wine? If not, what amount would you suggest?
Thanks,
MOB
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Appetizer $10 each, wine $30, entree $30 ea, dessert $10 each. Tax and tip too

We ate at the one on BI, but I guess they are about same prices all over the islands.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
sistahlou

Do you know where they are staying? North/South/East? There may be other choices. I haven't been to Tidepools or Beach House lately, but on our last trip I just wasn't into our dinner at Roy's.

In no way should this change your mind if others rave about it. It may have been me, the moment, just wasn't wowed.

What a wonderful destination, and how thoughtful to buy them dinner.
Wherever you choose, I'd go with $150.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

They're staying 2 nights in Princeville, and 5 nights on Poipu. I think I picked Roy's because my husband and two daughters had a wonderful dinner there about 6 years ago. I'll check out the Beach House too.
Gracias!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Would appreciate input from others. The Beach House looks as if it has great views? Anyone have a preference? Roy's or Beach House?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:16 PM

If this is a shower gift, I think a $100 certificate to Roy's is generous. You can do it for that price. They have a 3 course, $33 tasting menu, which includes the fabulous chocolate souffle dessert. I don't know their taste in wine, so it might run a little over if they like $50 bottles.

We were in Poipu last year
and the food at Roy's is much better than the Beach House, but the sunset view at BH is the best part. Of all, Tidepools or Dondero's at the Hyatt are excellent dining experiences, but you would have to up the gift amount.

They will probably get money for their Honeymoon at their wedding (our son did)so they can still go to the other places. I'd stick with your first idea!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:57 AM
sistahlou

Another thought although off subject...

My favorite coffee table book is
Kaua'i Edge - A Photographic Portfolio
by Steve Alterman and Scott Hanft
Outerbanks Press

It is the finest photo essay of the island - just amazing shots.

Goodluck MOB!

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:50 AM

We've eaten at both.

The Beach House is more romantic, right on the water, awesome sunset. Food is good. I've seen some reviews where the service can be spotty. Our service was excellent. Reservations must be made early.

Roy's has better food but is in a shopping plaza.

Either way, with wine, dinner will run about $150 for 2 people.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:42 AM
iceeu2

When we go to Roy's in Atlanta, we usually spend about $120 including tip. No bottle of wine, just a glass for me and a cocktail or 3 for the real icee.

It isn't as pretty as the Roy's gift card, but are you aware that you can buy Outback gift cards and they can be redeemed at Roy's, Bonefish Grill, Carrabba's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Flemings, Lee Roy Selmon's and Paul Lee's Chinese Kitchen.

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I ate at both restaurants a few months ago and I prefer the atmosphere of the Beach House over Roy's. At the Beach House we had a table on a small patio overlooking the ocean. At Roy's the window tables overlook the mall. The food was very good at both restaurants. The service was much better at the Beach House and I didn't feel as rushed to finish my meal as I did at Roy's.

I would go back to both restaurants, but for a romantic honeymoon dinner, I would go with the Beach House.

Make reservations early and request a table next to the windows.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM

We've eaten at all 3 -- and would only return to Roy's (great food, usually great service, but lousy ambiance), and Tidepools (great food, service and ambiance). Beach House is (IMHO) highly over-rated. Great views, but that's about all I have to say about it anymore...

Back to your question about pricing -- $100 would be ample for any of the 3 restaurants mentioned
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

Where is the Beach House? Is this the most romantic restaurant near Poipu on Kauai?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Jed

Recently, my wife and I went to Roy's in Philadelphia for the forst time. We thought that it was quite good, even for a chain. We had one drink each. Paid $92 total.

For what you are considering, I would guess $125, and if it is a few dollars more, so? If you give too much, do they get a refund?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM

I have to agree with Sistahlou. I know everyone raves about Roy's, but we weren't much into our dinner, either.
We've definatly had better.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
tmt

We didn't like Roy's in Kauai - absolutely NO atmosphere and the food was only okay. Sorry, the signature chocolate Souffle (can't recall exact name) is nothing special. I have had the same and better at restaurants in Boston.

I vote for the beach house and make sure they get there at least an hour or more before sunset time and request a table next to the window/open doors. There is usually a photographer there to take photos too. We just had someone take a few photos of us since we indulged in a great camera.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
sistahlou

LOL!!! I thought the signature souffle was boring. I'm a decadent dark chocolate gal, so to me it was like uncooked Betty Crocker cake mix.....yet I know we enoyed it the first time we shared it. Musta been the wine!

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM

First, congratulations on your daughter's wedding and a wonderful choice for the honeymoon.

As far as Poipu restaurants go, Roy's is a pretty good choice with consistently well-prepared food. True, the restaurant is in a shopping plaza and there is no view of any kind with the exception of watching the people strolling by. Also true that service can be rushed, but your daughter will need to be a proactive diner and request that her meal be adequately spaced since she came to dine, not to gobble up her food and free the table for the next guest. Unfortunately, this is happening more and more in even expensive restaurants, so we need to tell these establishments what we expect!

One hundred dollars would be very limiting and I would say that a decent dinner, with a couple of courses each, an inexpensive bottle of wine, espresso and a dessert to share would run at least $150, more with tax and tip.

True, again, that the Beach House is in a romantic, beach front setting, but what good is the setting if the food is not any good and have not been good for the last 7-8 years!

Tidepools (at the Grand Hyatt) is o.k., but, I am afraid, again more of a lovely setting than memorable food.

Here is what would be my no. 1 dining choice for Poipu: Plantation Gardens Restaurant (please 'google' the name), which serves pretty darn good food and is situated in a very romantic setting (old plantation house, lily ponds, bull frongs, etc.) within the Kiahuna Plantation Resort. Your $100 certificate would buy a nice meal there, with wine or tasty tropical drinks.

Anna Roz
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Roy's food is very good but has no atmosphere or view and it is loud. Just got back from Kauai and this was the 2nd time we ate at Roy's. There were babies and small children at 9:00pm at night who were tired, cranky and crying. Didn't add to a very romantic dinner. The Beach House is very lovely but the food can't compare with Roy's so I guess it depends on what you are after - good food or atmosphere. $100.00 may not buy everything but it will put a large dent in their bill.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Although it is true that Roy's is not an upscale type of restaurant, I would never consider going back to the Beach House. The food at Roy's was good and the waiters do their best to give you great service.
What a wonderful shower idea!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM

When I go to Roy's (in Southern California) I like to share several appetizer dishes (sushi roll, salad, fried calamari, etc.). Much more fun. Anyway--$100 can cover that plus wine and dessert. And if they choose to go the entree route, they won't have to pay too much extra out of their pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -