How much do you spend on hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotels are getting so expensive. I have never spent more than $200 for a room. Most of the time we are with family and on the run, don't spend a lot of time in the room. If we go on business or awards trips, we have stayed in very expensive rooms.

Reading posts here, many of you seem to spend big bucks. How do you budget what you will spend? Sky is the limit when on vacation? Some are budget, some are extravagant? Just curious. We often stay at very nice hotels off season and get good rates, like in Palm Desert or Scottsdale, and San Diego.

Seems like it is getting harder and harder to get bargains any more. So, feel like I need to bite the bullet and spend more. How do you determine what to spend, how much?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I have never spent more than $130 a night for a room and that was a Priceline room!

I find hotels getting totally out of hand for the average consumer when you travel to resort or touristy destinations! Even Las Vegas (which used to be very cheap!) runs around $150-300 a night on weekends, so now we only go during the week and get the Venetian for $99.

We tend to travel offseason to places so that does help to reduce cost. I like doing that because crowds are much less and you get better attention from the service workers when you aren't surrounded by mobs of people.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM
aggiemom

I like to be comfortable on vacation. I don't get luxury hotels much but it's usually Concierge level at the Hilton or Westin or similar. Suites if they are available. It's not worth it to me (or my husband, so he says!) to be uncomfortable and crabby. So, yeah, we routinely pay over $200 a night here and Europe.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM

The most we've spent was $190 a night in DC, which included parking and taxes. But it had a full kitchen which allowed us to make all breakfasts and half the suppers in the room.

We don't spend enough time in hotel rooms to justify higher rates. Usually in at 6pm and out by 8am.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM
E

Well, we spend a good bit of time in our hotel room. Call us lazy, but on vacation, we don't get up especially early, we often pop back to the room for a late afternoon nap, and we stay up late lounging and watching TV or reading. So we're willing to pay for a quiet, clean and comfy hotel with efficient service and a good location.

Secondly, I find that the value has gone out of the budget motels: they provide lousy accomodations, but are nowhere near as cheap as they used to be, or should be. $85 plus tax for a Red Roof Inn or similar is, IMO, outrageous for what you get. When I have paid over $200 for a room, I have always been satisfied that I got my money's worth.

Btw, hotels are getting pricier b/c they've been selling all their rooms and can command top dollar. Are Americans traveling and spending more b/c we're all just loading up on credit card debt?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Obviously it depends on the circumstances. If you're staying in Podunk you may get a great hotel for $75. In NYC you would be sleeping on a park bench.

So - you need to suit the budget to the circumstances. Obviously you can make compromises to hold the price down up to a certain point - but only to a certain point (IMHO).

We always go for the best price we can get for a hotel we know we will be happy with - unless it's just one night at an airport hotel before an early flight - then simply take anything functional.

We've paid at little as $50 a night (a gasthaus in the Black Forest - we loved it) and as much as $850 - for a VERY special anniversary celebration in London (we loved it even more).

However, we have been extravagent on our own dollar ($500+) only a few times - I would be uncomfortable doing it on a regular basis - there's too much more important to do with the money.

Overall - in a major US city - I would consider $200 to be basic business hotel (not budget chain - they can be less) - unless you can get a Priceline or other deal - which seems to be becoming quite scarce.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM

$69-500, depending on supply & demand (both individually and in the aggregate)

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM

For me it depends on the trip and why I need the room. If it is just for overnight while on a road trip, the cheaper the better. If I'm planning a long weekend, then I would probably do around $100.00. If I'm on a vacation where I plan to spend some time and make use of the services offered, then I would creep up to $200.00, but never over that.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM

We don't have much money for travel, so we stay in less expensive places so that we can travel more. If our situation were different and it probably will be in the future, we would definitely spend more on hotel rooms. For now, clean and reasonably comfortable is all we need. I do like to use Priceline to get a nicer place for the same money and have had fun staying in nicer places.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I had this dilemma about getting a room in Santa Monica. The hotel we like is 250. It is very nice, but not fancy. Big rooms though, and queen beds, which we like. But did not go that route. Got the Best Western in Venice, 10 minutes away, and saved $90. I figured for two nights, the almost $200. that we saved on hotel expenses, can be applied to meals and extras. Maybe a spa treatment or something.

I would love to stay anywhere anytime. We have some friends going to Cabo next week for a wedding. Not only are they staying at the very pricy Palmilla, but they are leaving a few days early to enjoy the shore. OK, I am a little jealous...

But I would have to win the lottery to live like that. Maybe, someday...
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM

I usually travel on budget, but sometimes "catch" a great internet rate.

I don't think I'd be happy to pay full price thinking I could've stayed another night in a cheaper place instead. I don't feel it's justified FOR ME to (over) for a fire place or 2 sinks in the bathroom.

But this is how it is for me. I don't want to count money in your pocket, you decide.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM

OMG, the price of gas doesn't look so bad anymore!

Even with the price of gas what it is now, I could drive 600 miles with $200 and see so many great places and then sleep in my motorhome.

Utahtea
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Ahhh, but for the price of many motorhomes, a $200/night hotel room is inexpensive by comparison.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I don't really understand the logic with the RV either.
Not to start a debate here but I really don't understand.
On many road trips we easily cover 600 miles in a day and spend way less for the night's lodging when we arrive.

We try to keep in around 100, between using priceline (the best!) and moderates (Hamptons are our favorite) when its just a place to lay our head.

Even in a national park a cabin (not campground)is less than 200.

So I really don't get it, but realize everyone is different.

I realize people cook in the RV which helps but it still doesn't seem to be less expensive, especially these days.
(plus no one in our family likes to cook or clean on vaction)
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Heavens, I'm glad you brought this up. I keep reading about people who say that $300 a night is a bargain, and I realize that I am so very out of my league. I have never used Priceline, but am certainly willing to explore it in future. I have found that by traveling outside of high season to various places, I can often get a nice place for two for less than $100 a night, which is about where I am comfortable. If the destination is the goal, I don't like to "waste" time hanging around my room when I could be out looking around and getting the feel of wherever I am; I can watch TV (or rather movies) at home. But to each his own.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer small, not fancy hotels so:
Mexico $45
Hawaii $95
Paris or Venice $150
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM

As much as it takes! every destination has its own unique requirements.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Kal

$)
"Hello...my name is Kal and I'm a Priceline/Hotwireaholic"

I can't see spending more than $150/night at a hotel unless it is for a very special occasion and I can't get one thru P'line/Wire.

If I save about $50/night, think of the Kielbassa dinners I can buy in Chicago this Oct?!?!?! \/
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Kal, you sleigh me!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Kal

Good thing it wasn't "Slay you" because you KNOW I'd be the one person who actually gets convicted in California!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -