Search

How many nights in Oahu vs. Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many nights in Oahu vs. Kauai?

Hi,
My husband and I are going to Oahu and Kauai in August for 13 nights. We have visited Oahu briefly (2 nights, only saw Waikiki and Pearl Harbor) and this will be our first trip to Kauai. This will be our 2nd trip to Hawaii -- last summer we visited Waikiki, Big Island, and Maui.

How would you split up the nights on each island? Our first inclination is 5 nights Oahu and 8 nights Kauai, or 6 nights Oahu and 7 nights Kauai. In Oahu, we will hopefully be staying at the Outrigger Waikiki, and would like to spend some time in Honolulu/Waikiki, but also visit the North Shore and Lanikai/Kailua beaches. We don't want to be in the city the whole time, although we do want to be based in Waikiki.

On Kauai, we would like to relax at a resort and do some sightseeing (Na Pali, Waimea Canyon, etc...) but we don't want to be on the go the whole time. We want to relax, too, because we had a very busy trip to Hawaii last time! Also, great snorkeling is a big priority for us.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM

This decision is obviously personal preference. My wife and I split our trip two years ago between Oahu(2 nights) and Kauai(10 nights) which worked out very nice. This gave us a chance to visit Pearl Harbor, hike Diamond Head and experience Waikiki. Then it was off to Kauai for 10 days of R&R. We are returning to Hawaii in April of this year and have opted for 15 days of R&R on Kauai. After experiencing what Kauai was all about, we just couldn't make ourselves sacrifice a day on Kauai by splitting our time up. Again, it's all about personal preference. We hope that in the future we will be able to visit the other islands but for this trip we both agree that the entire trip will be spent on beautiful Kauai.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:24 PM
iceeu2

beachgirl, we are splitting our 14 night vacation with 5 nights on Oahu and 9 on Kauai.
Right or wrong...that's what we are doing in 104 more days!

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

icee2: We just decided on 5 nights Oahu and 8 nights Kauai, and booked our hotel for Oahu. We are so excited to spend more time on Oahu than last summer, and also to experience Kauai for the first time
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:10 PM
iceeu2

btw, beachgirl, why did you get your post deleted on bft.com

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:27 PM

My daughter just spent 6 nights there. They stayed busy sightseeing every day and could have spent several more days doing even more.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:29 PM

i2,
What is bft.com?
104 more...are you getting excited yet?
175 for me!
-Bill

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

icee2: Sheryl deleted my post because I forgot to tell her that I couldn't get the amazing bargains.com link to work when I tried to bid. It was a total accident on my part, and she e-mailed me this whole thing saying she doesn't need to be treated like a slave, etc...I was a bit taken aback...it was an honest mistake on my part. I had always just gone right to Priceline before trying bft out, and I forgot to tell her when I tried the amazingbargain link, it wouldn't work. I wasn't sure what to make of her reaction, so I apologized, and she deleted that...oh, well!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:28 PM

bft.com = biddingfortravel.com (helping with Priceline bidding strategies)
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:41 PM

Thanks cawhite!
-Bill
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:58 AM
iceeu2

Bill...yes, bft is biddingfortravel.com

And.......am I getting excited....I'm so excited that I put an extra day on my days left....it's only 102 more days now and on Friday of this week, will be in double digits!

So, the ? is...are you excited with 175 to go?

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:07 AM

i2,

-Bill
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:17 AM

I thinks about 2 days is enough time on Oahu. I loved Kaui and could have spent 2 weeks there. Oahu is a big city, like NYC. IMO, i do not like it. I vote for more days on Kaui.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:26 AM

Beachgirl, I can't believe that it is time for you to plan your next trip. I have been on this message board for over one year planning this trip which will be happening in 32 days(March 4th) Three nights in Oahu,6nights in Kaui and 5 nights in Maui. I can't wait. I hope the weather cooperates for us. Hope you have a good time for the second time.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:39 AM

We just returned from Kauai and Oahu, and we really liked Oahu, but do yourself a favor and get out of Waikiki, rent a car and see the Island, see my trip report of Kauai and Oahu I just posted.
We stayed in Kailua at a B&B which I recommend rather than the towering hotels in Waikiki. I just cant see the charm of Waikiki, there isn't much to like about the place, dirty beaches, lousy snorkeling, to many people on the beaches, traffic, noise, crime. Manhattan meets the south seas. Not my kind of vacation place as you can tell. Hanauma bay is well worth a full days visit, great snorkeling (the best we saw on both oahu and kauai), if your going in august you may have better snorkeling on kauai on the north shore. We spent 4 nights on Oahu and that was about right, maybe one more night because Hanauma bay was closed on our last day, so we made the mistake of spending it in Waikiki.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Marshal: your trip sounds great! Have an awesome time, and I can't wait to read your trip report when you return!

Soboyle: We actually liked Waikiki when we visited for 2 nights on our last trip, and even though it wasn't our first choice, it made sense financially for us this time around, and now we are really looking forward to returning. But, we DEFINITELY plan on getting out of Waikiki and seeing the rest of Oahu, and snorkeling at Han. Bay is at the top of our list. I am going to look for your trip report right now, especially because this will be our first time to Kauai. Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM

If you're going in August go snorkeling in Shark's Cove on the North Shore of Oahu instead of Hanauma Bay. Way less crowded and lots more fish. Plus, it's free (you just take your own snorkel gear or rent it at Planet Surf across the street).
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:37 AM
emd

Is it just me or has anyone else noted that like 48 of the first 50 posts right now on the forum are on Hawaii? It's a strange phenomena, everyone going to Hawaii has posted in the last 6 hours.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:39 AM
emd

well, how stupid of me- of course, because I had somehow gotten all the hawaii posts up on my screen. Nevermind. I almost freaked myself out there.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM

beachgirl, I don't like to speak negatively about people, but I had an unfortunate circumstance similiar to yours with that admin too. Though the board, and Sheryl can be very helpful, I decided to move on to betterbidding.com, where you can make mistakes without getting scolded. I still look at bft when researching, just no longer post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -