Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How many nights do you recommend spending in Santa Barbara?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a May trip. We would fly to San Francisco, probably spend a night in Carmel, on to Santa Barbara, then a night in Cambria on the way back up the coast in order to see the Hearst Castle, then back to San Francisco for a few nights.

Although I've spent time in the last 20 years in Monterrey, Carmel, and Big Sur, I haven't been on that road south of Big Sur since I was 2.

I was thinking 3 nights, but then realized that would only leave me 2 full days. DH would want to spend some time just sitting around. I would like to shop a bit, maybe even look at Ojai and Carpenteria, maybe Solvang, and of course see the ocean.

Any thoughts from those of you who have been in the area more recently?
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM

IMHO Go with two nights in Santa Barbara. There is more to see and do than Cambria.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Three night is enough for the basics including Ojai. IMO Carpenteria isn't that specal outside the beach area. Include Solvang and environs for your trip back north rather than driving there and backtracking to SB. If you are into winery visits, lots of good choices around Solvang, Buellton and Santa Maria.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rather than drive the coast twice, why not fly out of Santa Barbara? Spend your time in SF at the beginning, see Hearst Castle on the way south and fly home from SB. That would easily give you three nights in SB and time for a day trip to the Santa Ynez area (Solvang, Los Olivos) or Ojai.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Jean, that's a thought. I'm not sure if Alaska Air flies there but I could look into it.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Alaska flies SB to Seattle.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. Now I'm going to look at my stacks of brochures I've collected over the years.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM

I would see Hearst Castle in the afternoon of the drive down from Carmel, then stay the night at The Ballard Inn or in Los Olivos or Solvang. Spend the following day meandering the wine country and the ranches, take the winding route 154 down into the hills of Santa Barbara and then spend 3 nights in Santa Barbara or Montecito. It's the perfect California spot for what you seem to want to do...sit back, enjoy, and shop. Three nights in Santa Barbara wouldn't be quite enough for me, if you can fly out of SB that would be perfect.

So I guess that means spending your SF nights at the beginning of your trip instead of at the end, making for a long week....by the time you arrive in SB you'll be ready for a couple full days (at least) of rest and relaxation.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:22 AM

What a great trip you are planning! I agree with other comments recommending that you not backtrack to visit various destinations - drive time is too great between locations.

Please, do yourself a favor - spend at LEAST 3 nights in Santa Barbara - and May is a fabulous month to visit. Early May brings our Cinco de Mayo celebration - mariachis, a fab street festival, and margaritas. Mid-May is a classic hot rod and car show....and my favorite arrives at the end of May - I Madonnari. Community groups "purchase" large squares of the plaza in front of the Santa Barbara Mission, and create fantastic, unbelievable works of art - in chalk! There is an Italian market, lots of incredible food and music - this is one of Santa Barbara's most beloved holidays. So you see - in May, you can't miss!

For pics and insider info, visit my blog: cartas.typepad.com

It's all about the beauty and history of Santa Barbara, California.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm actually starting to wish we had FOUR nights, but.....