Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long on MSP, and what to do on a Monday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thinking of visiting Minneapolis and St. Paul end of April. Was planning on two days in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul. Want to see St. Paul Museum of American Art, Cathedral, and James Hill House, alongside Minneapolis Institute of Art (not a big contemporary fan so likely not the Walker) and Mall of America. Maybe some time around one of the lakes, and of course some good eating and drinking. Mostly like 19th century and early 20th century art (so, maybe Walker after all?)

I was originally thinking of Friday through Monday, but most museums are closed Mondays. Thursday through Sunday is more expensive flight-wise, as is Friday through Sunday (but perhaps with saving one night of a hotel). How much time do I really need to allot, and if I stay into a Monday, what can I do then? (Mall? Lake?). Could I do something like Saturday through Monday, with enough museum time Saturday/Sunday, or is that rushing matters?

Finally, is end of April really a good time to go, or should I wait until it's warmer (I'm from Dallas)

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 03:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The end of April should be OK. The ice “goes out” i.e., sinks, early April on the large lakes. There isn’t too much spring, sometimes a day or two, then summer. I don’t know know tolerance for cold as I would choose being cold over being hot any day.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Is there a good hiking path or something in one of the lakes near downtown?
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 06:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Lake Phalen in the eastern side of St. Paul has a trail most of the way around it
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 08:29 AM

it's been many years ago, but we spent the better part of a week there. Granted we had small kids at the time so didn't work it too hard. Three days may be pushing it if you want to the Mall of the Americas and do some hiking. I remember enjoying Brit's Pub on the Nicollet Mall. I liked MN downtown. I also found the skyways kind of cool and creepy (on the weekend).
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Late April can be iffy. Mid-May and beyond is safer. You may have beautiful weather in late April or it could be snowing, and spring flowers are still a bit dicey at that time of year.

Don't look for any hiking around urban lakes - they pretty much all have paved paths and are an hour walk/stroll with a bunch of other people around. Como Lake is nice and has the advantage of being near Como Park with its conservatory and gardens, but the outdoor spaces will be better that later in spring you go.

I think you can easily fill 3 days - see the Basilica in Minneapolis, look up the Museum of Russian art as well (it's mostly religious stuff though). I'm not a big art person so can't help much with any suggestions there.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 02:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the city lakes have walking paths around them.
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thoughts on the following itinerary this Friday to Monday? One issue is weather will be worse Sat and Mon but Mon is the day I need to do more outdoorsy stuff.

Friday - arrive airport 10:30 am

Nicollete Mall for Lunch? Hell's Kitchen? Red Cow?
Wander Nicolette Mall or skyways?
American Swedish Institute - Snack at Fika?
Minneapolis Institute of Art
Grand Cafe - have 5:30 reservations but can move to 7:15 but in bar not main dining room

Saturday

State Capitol - 10 am

Meritage - 11 am

Rice Park and landmark center
Minnesota Museum of American Art
James J Hill House 3:30
Cathedral
WA Frost - 6 pm
Prohibition bar

Sunday

Basilica
Walker - Sculpture Garden
St Anthony Falls Trail
Hennepin Bridge
Mill City Museum (opens at noon) and Stone Arch Bridge
Young Joni - 2 pm
Mall of America? Or One or two of the things on Monday to take advantage of better weather?
Spoon and Stable - 9 pm

Monday:

Lake Harriett and Lyndale Park Rose Garden
Bde Maka Ska? Is it worthwhile?
Sea Salt and Minnehaha - bit of trek
mall of America?

flight 6 pm
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 06:09 AM

It's spring, the weather forecast can change quite a bit between now and this weekend. But in general, yes flip your itinerary so you're doing the outdoors stuff on the nicer days.

Are you renting a car or using public transportation? Where are you staying? If you're using public transportation, the Blue Line goes from the airport to downtown Minneapolis and the Green Line will take you from Minneapolis to St. Paul. Sea Salt/Minnehaha is on the Blue Line between the airport and Minneapolis and super easy to visit, but you'd have to figure out what to do with your luggage. I'm sure the falls will be pretty impressive at this time of year.

Friday and Sunday - everything is pretty walkable. Not entirely sure about Saturday as I don't get to St Paul very often so I'm not sure of the distances between things. Monday - I would skip the rose garden as nothing will be blooming. Roses will barely be awake and getting some leaves by this weekend. I like Lake of the Isles more than Lake Harriett for walking but both are fine. Bde Maka Ska - it's the most popular of the 3 lakes but that's more for people watching and to be seen. MOA could take all day so have a plan if you really want to see specific things or shop.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 02:52 PM

The Walker has a good restaurant and is located right next to the sculpter garden. I don't think you're going to be able to see all that in 3 days. At least not at my speed.