Search

How Early to bid on PriceLine (BFT)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Early to bid on PriceLine (BFT)

HI!

I have decided to use PL for the LA part of our vacation.

I have used it several times before and have always been happy .....But I usually bid just a few weeks in advance.

However our trip is not until July so I don't know when is to early? Does it really matter. I have researched BFT but wanted to ask all you experts

Do you have any thoughts? We want the Bev Hills area 4*

Ruby
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:30 AM

The info I have always received is that it is best for closer-to-date bookings. That said, I have gotten good deals on 2 occasions booking months early - don't know if it would have been even better closer to date, but I had no complaints about price.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:43 AM

I'd say there's no harm in starting to bid as soon as your plans are definite.

With adequate research at www.betterbidding.com or www.biddingfortravel.com.

There's no need to bid your limit now but there's no harm testing the water and seeing if anything comes of it.

I have seen people pick up amazing deals months and months in advance, particularly bidding for stays here in London.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:48 AM

I , too, would suggest there is no harm in starting early. I once got a fantastic deal bidding months in advance. I was really pleasantly surprised. But don't get discouraged and start bidding too high too early.

I don't think I've ever had to wait til the last couple of weeks to do alright.
Usually it's about 4 or 5 weeks ahead.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I agree, there's in harm in bidding eraly, especially for dates that are high-season. The advice about bidding late is based on PL's system of receiving inventory that the hotels don't expect to book. Some hotels will misjudge and end up with unbooked rooms (or cancelled reservations) very close to the travel dates, which gives a late boost to PL's supply. But I've gotten good deals far in advance, as well.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:02 AM

I have gotten great bids on London and Anchorage Alaska bidding 2-3 months in advance. Just reasearch thoroughly on BFT and here so you know approx what people have been getting on bids. I just bid last week for one night in Minneapolis for this weekend and got the Hyatt for $45 - a price I'm pleased with. So I've bid months in advance and also a week in advance. Good luck! Pam
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM

By the way according to the BFT site, users have found that there is no longer a 72 hour waiting period. It is apparently only 24 hours now. I love that!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:44 AM

There is one concern with bidding early - priceline bids are non-refundable, so if your plans change, you'll be out the entire price.

If you can live with that risk, then definitely bid early. Just be careful not to bid too high this early. And be sure to put in place a cancellable backup reservation when you can find one at a price you can live with, just in case priceline doesn't come through at all.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks!

I think I will try this weekend. I too noticed the 24 hour change... I think its great!

I'll let you know whenever I "win"
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

just a quick update...

Got the Beverly Hills Hilton for 120/night for 5 nights in July. This seems pretty typical so I guess bidding early realy doesnt matter

Thanks everybody for your thoughts!