Reload this Page >

How do you count the 50?

Search

How do you count the 50?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:07 AM
road hog

How do you count the 50?

How should I count the # of states I've been to?
Does a state "count" if you have just driven through it?

Does a state "count" if you lived there from the age of 2-3 and have little to no recollection?

Does a state "count" if you have been there 15 times but never left the airport?

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Paul Rabe

I discussed with my chums almost forty years ago, and the view we came up is the one I stick to now. If you breath the air within a state, you've been there. This means you've "been to" that state even if you land at an airport within its boundaries and never get off the plane.

Otherwise you end up arguing what is an "adequate" visit to a state. If you live in Buffalo for twenty years but never get to the Big Apple, have you really "been to" New York?

The only other objective test is spending at least night sleeping within a state's boundaries, including hotels at airports while stranded.

Right now I'm working on photographing the state capitol buildings of all fifty states. I'm at 48.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Betsy

Road Hog, I think you can set up you own criterion for what constitutes your "count." In our family, it's putting your feet on the ground in the state or country.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 07:17 AM
x

I thought you had to hit a rest stop leave a little piece of yourself & grap some joe.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Jen

Our rule is about the same as Betsy -- you have to touch the ground. And airports don't count.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:20 PM
TryThis

Generally speaking, the more relaxed your criteria, the less you have traveled. (Hence the need to "count" as many places as possible).

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:10 PM
xx

Airports don't count. Driving thru counts with a caveat. Spending 1 night at a hotel counts.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Marie

We stop and take a picture of every Welcome to...state sign, when we have done that, we've been to that state. So far the best was Washington state, which had the state name spelled out in red, white and blue flowers. We are up to 38!

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 07:15 PM
kent

If you have urinated in that state, whether at the airport or on the side of the road IT COUNTS! Those are our family rules.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 07:47 AM
xxx

Jen what if you have a four hour layover and walk to the edge of the airport property?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Jen

If you have four hours and leave the airport, it counts!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Holly

It only counts if while I was in that state I:

1) Partied like a rock star;
2) Had great sex, or
3) Completed a marathon or triathlon.

The best trips involve all of the above (although I usually save #1 until after the race).

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
he

Holly,

I would truly enjoy to be your traveling companion. It is 'hard' to think of something that I'd rather do than have marathon sex with a drunken triathlete!