How do I upgrade hotel room?

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Paul

How do I upgrade hotel room?

Has anyone ever successfully upgraded their room upon arrival to their hotel?
Any tactical advice? I never had it in me to ask for one.

Thanks,
Paul

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:59 PM
h

When you check in -ask if there is a possibility of an upgrade.That is all there is to it.Sometimes they have rooms and want to be nice and they will give you a room..it helps if you have been there before.I have done it on the phone when I tell them it is for a special occasion, which is the truth.In fact, for an anniversary, I asked for a certain room and told the desk why.When we checked in to the room,there was a bottle of champagne from the staff for us.

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:27 PM
xxx

Got an upgrade at a Sheraton Hotel last week because my home address is Sheraton Drive. No kidding.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:36 AM
linda

after i have booked my room i phone hotel reservations(the one in the hotel ,not the national reservations dept)i tell them we are visiting for a special anniv or birthday etc and ask what special services the hotel can provide after a couple of minutes chat i say i will think about it,when the rooms are allocated it is then on screen that you are celebrating and you have a good chance of an upgrade (about i 1 in 3 success rate for us
at the raddison universal in orlando we got flowers and chocolate dipped strawberries NO CHARGE
sometimes this also highlights specials the hotel are doing ,for example the peabody offered us an upgraded room ,breakfasst and wine and chocolates for about twenty dollars a night more on arrival our upgrade turned out to be a mini suite for less than the rack rate for a standard room.

Mar 13th, 2002, 02:38 AM
2Travelers

... All good advice, Paul. I'd add just one thing: be sure to stop and say a sincere Thank You (and use their name). If possible, say it to the manager, too. Never know when you'll be back, looking for another upgrade.

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:36 AM
z

Paul,
It is also helpful to join the hotel's frequent stay program before staying even if you only plan to use that chain once.

Mar 13th, 2002, 07:09 AM
upgrade

I always try to e-mail them a week or so before the trip. Say that I'm looking forward to my stay and maybe be asking a question. Something that establishes me as a friendly guest who's on their side. When they write back to answer the question, I respond and ask politely if they could possibly upgrade my room. It's always worked!

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Been

z,

It certainly can't hurt to join the hotel's frequent guest program.

However, the hotel knows if you only stay at their chain 1 or 2 times a year of if you stay 100+ nights a year at their chain.

The REALLY frequent guests are almost guaranteed upgrades.

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Patrick

I agree about joining the hotel's frequent guest program, assuming it is a chain. Upon registration you plop down your card and politely ask if an upgrade is available. In your case I'd even suggest mentioning that it is your first stay as one of their "club" members. I even joined a frequent stay club for a chain of hotels in Tasmania, Australia, knowing I'd only be going there once, and I got upgraded at both of the hotels I stayed in there.