First time to Yellowstone/Grand Teton

Mar 6th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Jen

First time to Yellowstone/Grand Teton

This will be our first trip this summer. I know spring or fall would be better because of the crowds, but have to do it this time. We are staying in Jackson first, then heading to Old Faithful area (Snow Lodge and Old Faithful Inn), then on to Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton park. Looking to horseback, hike, float trip, and whitewater trip. Been reading all the responses and getting great ideas. Does anyone have more suggestions for us being first-timers?

Mar 6th, 2002, 12:33 PM
travellyn

Your list sounds pretty good. My husband and I did all the activities on your list on a similar trip a few years ago. We didn't have any horseback experience and ended up a little sore after a 90 minute ride. I think there might have been a hay ride and cowboy dinner in there, too.

I remember thinking I could have taken a 3 day trip on the Snake River and been really happy. We just took 2 smaller ones.

I would probably add some ranger-led activities to your list. We have really enjoyed a few ranger hikes in various national parks.

We took a boat trip across a lake in the Grand Tetons (Jenny Lake?) with a hike on the other side into a canyon that was lovely.

We stopped at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. To my surprise, I found it really interesting. They had a lot of Charlie Russell letters and drawings.

Mar 6th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Bob Brown

I have some suggestions. Grand Geyser and Castle Geyser are worth waiting for.
And I find the experience much more meaningful with some knowledge of the forces at play to make a geyser in the first place.

Secondly, if there is a full moon, go out and watch one of the big geysers erupt at night. Grand or Castle either one is fun to watch at by moonlight. You will not be the only one out there.
Of the two, Castle is perhaps a little more predictable.

Mar 6th, 2002, 02:59 PM
susie

Jen, Just wondering, aren;t you backtracking, I assume you meant Jackson, WY. Don't you pass thru the Grand Tetons on the way up to Yellowstone.? Maybe I have my geography wrong, but I thought we stayed in Jackson. (White water rafting is fun) and then up the road and over to Jenny lake and on up to Yellowstone. If not, it must be one of my senior moments...

Mar 7th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Denise

My husband and I did that 2 years ago and it is worth the trip. I would highly recommend the Buffalo Bill Museum in Coty. It is worth a day to explore the museum. If you read every little thing, then give yourself 2 days to explore. The gun colletion in the basement is worth seeing too.

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Jen

Thanks all for your help... and yes, Susie, we are backtracking - but you know I had to take rooms where I could get them. My husband wanted also to do the raft trip towards the end of the trip and we didn't want to trek from Y.S. down to Jackson to pick it up.
Keep the ideas coming! Appreciate it!