Reload this Page >

Houston...where to stay?

Search

Houston...where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:13 AM
Joan Byer

Houston...where to stay?

Help...do I want to stay at the Westin Galleria or the Westin Oaks? Call me "picky" O.K. VERY picky.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:51 AM
John

Joan, we stayed at the Westin Galleria two months ago and were really stunned that the hotel is very dirty and in need of renovation. Can't say anything about the Westin Oaks, however.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Susan

they are renovating the Galleria mall now. Maybe the hotel too?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:18 AM
garyt

Joan - if you're VERY picky, skip Houston altogether... I've never been more disappointed in a city than with Houston!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:58 AM
toldham

The galleria area is pretty crowded and really only of interest if you are inclined to shop--there is the Warwick hotel near rice university that has a pretty location---the four seasons is downtown--adn the old ritz carlton is just east of the galleria

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:11 PM
No Bull Bill

Both are part of (physically attached to) the Galleria. The Oaks is a bit nicer, but neither is exactly luxurious. There are nicer hotels around. If you prefer a Starwood proprty, the St. Regis (previously the Ritz Carlton) is quite lovely, not far from but insulated from the Galleria traffic and noise. The Warwick is more historic, located in the museum district. The Houstonian is just north of the Galleria, very nice place. The Lancaster in downtown area is a Small Luxury Hotel.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:48 PM
Brenda

I, too, am a picky hotel guest, and last time I visited the Galleria area and its hotels I was sure glad I skipped out of the cheap conference rates there and stayed at the St. Regis. Not that the SR is a world class hotel (it's good though), but the Westin and Oaks were definitely not my kind of places.
Like gart, Houston left me very disappointed. I don't plan on returning.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Yolanda

I got the Westin on Priceline a few weeks ago and it was TERRIBLE. Westin should be ashamed of having such a nasty hotel. The carpets are filthy, wallpaper peeling, furniture stained, the Westin logos half gone from the windows, etc.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:19 AM
jorge

I have used priceline for houston galleria area many times ( >10) ... The JW Marriott will take 70$ 4 star hotel across the street from the galleria and the St Regis will take 100$ very worth the price 5 to 7 minutes from the galleria.