Houston-what to do and see

Apr 9th, 1999, 07:23 PM
Gloria

Houston-what to do and see

Love to shop. what about the Galleria. Are there any good museums? Will have a rental car? Is San Antonio too far?

Apr 10th, 1999, 11:09 AM
fran

I live in Dallas and travel to Houston as I have a close friend there, but would not go for any other reason. If you are going on business and will have the weekend off, go to San Antonio or Austin. San Antonio has lots to do and see. Austin, if you enjoy the outdoors, has the waterfalls, lakes and hills. The next couple of months will be nice, warm weather. If summer, it will be extremely hot. Houston will be very humid, so be prepared.

Apr 10th, 1999, 08:54 PM
Linda

The NASA area south of the city is great & worth a visit. Galveston is just south from there. San Antonio is about 3-4 hour drive (depending on the side of town you are). Check out traveltex.com for information.

Apr 11th, 1999, 08:05 PM
Louise

Hi Gloria,
I think you will love Houston. The Galleria I & II are both the places to shop. Also just north of Houston on I-45 is a little town called OLD Town Spring that is great for shopping for unique things. Nasa is about a 30minute drive using the tollway and Galveston is about an hour drive. In Galveston, you must go on the Strand. The beach is not much but there are a lot of shops and restaurants on the Strand. Actually, you could stop at Nasa on the way to Galveston. I must warn you it is very humid and hot in Houston, but we do offer more for tourist now. Our museum district is downtown and rather nice. Also check out a nice opera or play and even a ballgame at the very first Astrodome. San Antonio is about a 31/2 hour drive and Austin about a three hour drive. Hope you have a nice stay in Houston. Oh yes, check out some good cajun seafood at Papadeaux's or Copeland's. Enjoy your stay.

May 7th, 1999, 04:29 AM
Jose Rodrigues

Hello Gloria ,
Iīm Jose Rodrigues from Brazil.
I would like to get information about NASA area in Houston. Could you send me any information???
Perhaps in July 1999 I will be stay in New Orleans -LA and I'm just planning visit Houston and NASA.
Thanks in advance
Jose Rodrigues - Brazil

May 7th, 1999, 12:04 PM
andy

As for the arts are concerned you can stay busy. The de Menil collection is a must-across the street is the Cy Twombley exhibit. Also part of the de Menil is the Byzantine Chapel and the Rothko Chapel (get directions at the de Menil. I would check out the Contemporary Arts Museum, The Museum of Fine Arts, both are on the corner of Montrose Blvd & Bissonet. There is also the Holocaust Museum, Museum of Natural Science (IMAX movies) and many, many galleries. If you are looking for some galleries go to Colquit Street. People at any of the museums can direct you. All of the above locations are within 15 minutes in a car, something you will need in Houston. Be sure to enjoy some of the local cullinary pleasures; Carrabba's(ita), LaGriglia(ita), Vallone's(steak), Chuy's (tex-Mex), Baroque(the name says it all) and many more. Good Luck

May 7th, 1999, 12:07 PM
andy

As for the arts are concerned you can stay busy. The de Menil collection is a must-across the street is the Cy Twombley exhibit. Also part of the de Menil is the Byzantine Chapel and the Rothko Chapel (get directions at the de Menil. I would check out the Contemporary Arts Museum, The Museum of Fine Arts, both are on the corner of Montrose Blvd & Bissonet. There is also the Holocaust Museum, Museum of Natural Science (IMAX movies) and many, many galleries. If you are looking for some galleries go to Colquit Street. People at any of the museums can direct you. All of the above locations are within 15 minutes in a car, something you will need in Houston. Be sure to enjoy some of the local cullinary pleasures; Carrabba's(ita), LaGriglia(ita), Vallone's(steak), Chuy's (tex-Mex), Baroque(the name says it all) and many more. Good Luck

May 7th, 1999, 12:22 PM
andy

May 8th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Rosa

I live in Houston and it's boring here. You'd be better off going someplace else.

May 8th, 1999, 08:34 AM
Rosa

Houston is a boring city. I live here. If I were you, I'd go someplace else.

May 8th, 1999, 08:35 AM
Rosa

It's boring in Houston. I live here. If I were you, I wouldn't come here.

Jun 21st, 1999, 11:50 AM
brenda

For those of us that are considered WELL TRAVElED, I can say Houston, is one of the most culturally diverse city there is. Houston is referred to as the NEW YORK of the South. If you are into theatre, Houston is second only to New York in the number of theatre seats and productions. As far as dining, it does not get any better. Shopping is word class. When you enter the city limits of Houston, you know you are in a city, not a town.