Houston in March,any ideas?

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
jetset1

Houston in March,any ideas?

We are visiting family during spring break, but will have some free days. Are there good destinations that we shouldn't miss with our kids, 10 and 15? Also, what is the average temp. that time of year and how about footwear? Thanks, J.

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your kids are sci-fi intellectuals, make sure to go to NASA spacecenter south of Houston. Once there, head to Galveston and walk in some sand.

If you like theatre, I see The King and I is playing mid-month. Also notice there is a 1/2 price link.
http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/

I also see Houston Astros schedule:
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp...hou&m=3&y=2005

About footwear...what do you need to know?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
emd

When is your spring break trip?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM

You will be in Houston during one of my favorite times of year. The Azaela Trail is not to be missed. It is down in the River Oaks area and the highlight is the Bayou Bend house and gardens. They are beautiful formal gardens with azaelas, roses, and tulips, etc. There are also other houses on the trail that you can visit. The entire River Oaks area is beautiful. Try to google "Azaela Trail Houston" because I am at a loss for the website. Alot of people also like to visit Hermann Park which is in the same area.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Ok, I found it- riveroaksgardenclub.com It has the details for the trail. Have fun!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Will you be there during the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo? That is always a favorite. Moody Gardens in Galveston is a nice change & the IMAX there is usually fun.

Our kids enjoyed the Johnson Space Center, especially the freeze dried icecream they sell in the gift shop. Trying to land a space shuttle (simulator) is a lot harder than you think. Maybe kids that play video games are better than adults.

If the weather isn't too cold & your kids like water you could check out Lake Conroe (N of Houston) & then the town of Montgomery. Old Town Spring has a neat place to eat, Wunsche's. It's an old saloon & the burgers are good.

We always like to eat at the Potato Patch on FM 1960. The severs toss rolls & muffins to you while you're at the table. A very relaxed & fun place to eat. Kids enjoy catching the food the most.

Dress casual unless you plan to go to some upscale places. Tennis shoes or other casual comfortable shoes would be my choice. It can get chilly at times so I would bring clothes that you can layer. Ask your family for some idea of the temperature lately & normal for March.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:21 PM

If you do go to Galveston (the beach), you should also check out Moody Gardens:
http://www.moodygardens.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:28 PM

The average high temp in Houston in March is mid-70's and average high temp is mid-50's. That said, the weather is very variable, so you should check the weather forecast the week before your trip. For example, yesterday 2 days ago the high was 48 degrees, and today the high was 78 degrees!

Space Center Houston is a must-see, like wsoxrebel said. I also think seeing an Astros game would be great for kids that age if they're interested. We have a great stadium. The Houston Museum of Natural Science is really interesting, even for a 15-year old. It has an IMAX and a butterly environment. If you have girls, they might enjoy a visit to the Galleria shopping mall for some great shopping; also, there's an ice skating rink in the middle.

On a pretty day, make sure you go to Memorial Park to have lunch at Beck's Prime. It's a burger place, but right in the middle of the golf course. The azaleas will be blooming, and there's outdoor seating. Good, cheap food. And you can even try out the putting green if you're interested.

I don't know what you're asking about footwear, but most people in Houston dress very casually, so anything goes. Most restaurants (except for a handful of very fancy places) are fine with diners wearing jeans or shorts, so as long as you've got something on your feet, you'll fit right in!

Enjoy your trip.
Susan
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Oops. Make that "the average low temp is mid-50's."
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Oh, and the website for the science museum is www.hmns.org.

Susan
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:55 PM

I have one more suggestion, and then I'll let someone else get a word in. I just noticed that Astroworld (Six Flags Over Texas) will be open each weekend in March, as well as every day during the week of the 20th.

Susan
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:52 PM
jetset1

Thank you everyone. Our trip will be March 19th for around 8 days. We're coming from Alaska, so Houston will feel pretty good to us. I wondered about shoes for walking, I realize now that sandals would be silly, and thanks.
My kids are boys, computer savvy, and I know they'd love the Space Center. My sister keeps going on about Pappacitos. Is there a good place to take them as a thank-you before we leave? It would just be four adults, and I like innovative drinks and just about anything for food. They live in Katy btw.
The science museum is a great idea. My kids are interested in all things, and it's a good place that my two nieces can tag along. Thanks again, and if anyone has further ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'm sort of dreading the four hour flight from Seattle, but I'll just pretend it's a shorter trip to Hawaii,lol.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:33 AM
emd

Are you staying in Katy w/your sister? If so, youo need to watch the timing of when you go into town, and your route (I10 will age you fast). I lived in Houston, and my sister lived in Katy for years. Last year she took me to this really great Italian restaurant, not right in Katy but about 10 min. south of West Oaks Mall. It was sort of out of the way (not on Hwy 6, it was tucked away in some brand new neighborhoods) but it was comfortable, wonderful atmosphere, and reasonable prices. I can ask her for the name if you are interested.
I didn't see the mention of the science museum, but if you go, there is a butterfly house (Cockerell or something like that) at the science center where incredible butterflies will be flying all over and land on you- it is very cool and worth the extra cost.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:31 AM

You will like Pappasito's. The food is fresh & the place is lively. My favorite is shrimp en brochette & also fajitas loco. The fajitas loco is plenty to share. I'm sure the kids would enjoy it. We always took out of town visitors there. It is a nice place to go for any reason but you don't feel formal.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:02 AM

March is a great time to visit Houston. Comfortable temperatures, low humidity.

The rodeo's final weekend is at the start of your visit. RodeoHouston is our Mardi Gras. Similar to Calgary Stampede, just on a larger scale. Definitely worth at least one visit.

If the kids like amusement parks, SixFlags Astroworld opens for Spring Break on March 18.

Astros don't return home from Spring Training until April. If the kids are baseball fans, Houston has two excellent college baseball teams in UH and Rice. I think there are a couple of Houston Rockets games that week.

If you like folk art, you ought to go to the Orange Show. Granted, its a little weird, but its worth at least one visit.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Houstonites - did the Medical Museum ever reopen? I was so impressed by it a few years ago.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I live near the Johnson Space Center and Spacecenter Houston. Check the website for discount coupons. If you are planning on spending the day out here you might consider the Kemah Boardwalk. It's along the water; mostly restaurants, but there's also a few amusement rides your boys might like to try.

Also if you'd like area restaurants there's:
Tookies (burgers) a local insitution
Frenchie's Italian (the walls are lined with autograph pictures of astronauts)
Angelo's for pizza (italian restaurant, but haven't been able get past the pizza to know if anything else is good, we love the margherita pizza)
Tokyo Bowl (japanese)

Right across the street from JSC is a Fuddruckers and just west of JSC is a McDonalds with a huge astronaut hanging off the building (just drive by)

Ask you sister about kolache's. Sweet bread stuffed with sausage, bacon, cheese, jalapeno's, fruit, cream cheese, etc. I've only lived in Houston for 2 1/2 yrs now and we love them. Family insist on them when they visit.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM

wsoxrebel, it's Houstonians , not Houstonites . Sounds like something to fight Superman.

If you're talking about the McGovern Musem of Health and Medical Sciences, it's always been open. Just checked the website, and it is very much alieve. You are right, it is a cool museum. It is fairly close to the Museum of Natural Sciences (which, by the way, has a great butterfly house).

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Pappasito's has great Mexican food (especially their fajitas). My sons (ages 13 and 16) love Chuy's Mexican Restaurant. If you want some barbeque Goode Company is good, as is Pappas Barbeque (same owner as Pappasito's).

Another thing you might want to do since you'll be staying west of town in Katy is to visit the Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham. (Tours are only available on weekdays, but there's free ice cream at the end!) Here's their website: http://www.bluebell.com/about_visiting.htm

wsoxrebel has another good idea -- The Museum of Health and Medical Science is also really interesting. Here's their website: http://www.mhms.org/

By the way, it hit 80 degrees today and I noticed a few people wearing sandals! (In January!) So, if you feel like it, go for it!

Susan
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:13 PM

LDLee, tee hee, you're right!

jetset1, I keep talking up an attraction I've never seen, but if I were in Katy, I would go see the not-much-publicized Forbidden Gardens replica of Imperial China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -