House on The Rock and Wisconsin Dells

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are thinking of going to these places. Has anyone been there? Thaks
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM

"Designed and built by Alex Jordan of Madison, the House on the Rock is an architectural marvel perched on a 60-foot chimney of rock. Begun in the early 1940's, it overlooks the breathtaking panorama of Wyoming Valley. The 14-room House, sculpted atop Deer Shelter Rock, is the original structure of what is now an extraordinary complex of rooms, streets, buildings and gardens covering over 200 acres."

www.thehouseontherock.com
The House is amazing, the rest of the place quite odd--a combination of all sorts of stuff.

Wisconsin Dells is a schizophrenic kind of place. The Dells are beautiful, and both the Upper and Lower Dells boat trips worth taking. The Bennett Studio and History Center is fascinating.

However, the Dells are now marketing themselves as the waterpark capital of the world, and there are lots of touristy/cheesy attractions as well. www.wisdells.com
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM

I agree that the House is neat but the contents very odd. Worth a stop if you are nearby.

I would only go to the Dells if you like waterparks. Noah's Ark is the best by far IMHO. I went there at least once every summer while growing up. Other good things to do are tour the Dells in the Duck boats and check out the Tommy Bartlett (sp) waterski show. There are a lot of touristy crap sites, but fun things to do too.
And we love Pedro's Mexican Restaurant!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM

Depending on the age of your daughter, either or both places may be of interest.

House on the Rock--I was there once. Rooms and rooms of odd, yet interesting collectons. It screams of eccentricity. The view is especially lovely in the fall, but nice anytime. Not a place for a younger child.

The Dells are way too commercialized, but the natural beauty still remains and the best way to see it is by doing the Duck Boats. Both Upper and Lower Dells are quite beautiful with the layered rock. The word dell derives from a french term for the layered rocks. The boats also go through wooded areas where I've seen deer. Each trip is a couple of hours long.

Another thing that I found interesting as a kid and as an adult: the jumping dog at Stand Rock. It jumps from one high rock to another. No animal cruelty. It's an easy jump that became a legend long ago when a photograph taken of a kid jumping between these two high rocks became famous.

At night there is a highly professional and moving Native American show at Stand Rock.

There are numerous water parks and activities for kids in the Dells. As was mentioned, the Tommy Bartlet water show is a worthwhile and wholesome tradition for all ages.

Avoid weekends at the Dells if possible.
Have fun if you go.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:10 AM

We did this trip several year ago when our kids were about 12 and 15. House on the Rock was just strange! The house part was interesting but the rest of it was endless. Room after room after room of stuff that didn't always seem particularly related. Very little signage to explain anything. It gave me a true appreciation of the job of a museum curator because all of this stuff thrown together wasn't very interesting or meaningful.

The Wisconsin Dells area is very touristy and probably isn't worth more than a day or two visit. One thing in the area that is very interesting to visit is the International Crane Foundation. Check out their web site at www.savingcranes.org.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:09 AM

It Depends:

On the age and interests of your daughter.

On how far you have to travel to get there.

If you are already in the region for something else, sure; as a destination all to themselves, probably not.

For a quick weekend, they would be fun. You have to do the Ducks in the Dells.

House on the Rock is just plain weird. And if I recall, Jordan didn't actually live there.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I agree, it really depends on your daughter's age & what she is into if she will like the House on the Rock. It is a somewhat eerie place, but totally unique. I think it's worth the visit! As for the Dells, if you guys like waterparks, Noah's Ark is the place to go. Lots of fun. Very touristy though.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:05 AM

ttt
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM

I've been to the Dells several times. It may be cheesy and touristy, but the kids love it. Who doesn't love a waterpark? Definitely do the Duck ride. Eat at the Del Bar - great food the last time I was there

House on the Rock - agree with above comment, the house is neat but after that it's bizzare. Cave of the Mounds is nearby, and is a very interesting experience for kids and adults.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Hi Mollys,
I have only been there once to move my daughter there. She is the featured female singer at the new dinner theatre, Broadway in the Dells, she is amazing, (not just mom talk, everyone thinks so) so if you go I hope you will take in a show and dinner. I am going back there end of August to see the show and ride on the duck boats and enjoy other natural things. Although, she says the waterparks are amazing, especially Noah's Ark.