Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotwire and Priceline- How do you know what hotels?

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into Ft. Lauderdale lodging and am getting close to booking something.

I know that Hotline and Priceline don't tell you what hotel you get until you've booked, but I have seen posts on this forum where it seems a lot of people can figure out what they might get.

For instance, I've heard that for 3 star at Priceline you either get Marina Marriott or Embassy Suites. So, do any of you know the list of hotels that you might get if you bid on a 4 star? (Also mention what location...I'm assuming I want "Beach" area.

Also, I have seen posts that said on Hotwire, you can figure out what hotel you will get. How?

Please let me know what hotels are for what locations or stars on Hotwire.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM

For more on priceline, check out biddingfortravel.com
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
www.biddingfortravel.com covers Priceline results and hotel lists extensively. While there are a few Hotwire results listed on BFT, you need to look at www.betterbidding.com for broader coverage of Hotwire.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:35 PM
GoTravel

You don't know because you are bidding on a quality level and a location not a particular hotel.

You can get a good indication by going to the vacation package section of each.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:05 PM

I had never considered Priceline because I'm just too picky about hotels to take the randomness of the whole thing.

However,at least in some locations you can almost predict what you'll get. For example I went to biddingfortravel.com and saw that in the Upper Eastside of Manhattan there are only two four star hotels currently listed. In addition it seemed all of the recent reports indicated getting the Stanhope...a Park Hyatt opposite the Met.

Thanks to their information I got the Stanhope for $115 in March, incredible as their discounted rate is close to $300. I'm not sure that I'd use Priceline without this type of "narrowing of the odds". And no matter what biddingfortravel.com lists Priceline could add a new four star that morning and you'd be stuck with it.

Hope that helps!

However, I have to say I'm very happy with the deal we've got!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM

You can check www.betterbidding.com for Hotwire results. But, that may or may not be up to date or accurate.

Another way to attempt to figure out ahead of time which hotels Hotwire is offering is to check out their packages where the hotel (with star rating) is available for your dates before you book. Sometimes this works (though you must have a good map and figure out in which Hotwire area the hotels are located), but not all the possibilities available on the hotel only inquiries come up with the package inquiries.

Either which way, if either Hotwire or Priceline is offering two or more hotels of the same star rating for your dates, all bets are off.

I've used both Priceline and Hotwire for many years for many destinations. In the overall, even though the rates have been somewhat higher, I've been more pleased with the Hotwire hotels.

You truly CANNOT accurately guess the hotel, though. Sometimes it's what I've thought (or was hoping for), but often it is NOT.

You must also pay very careful attention to the area borders.