Hotels near Brown University

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son just got the news he was accepted at Brown. As he stays on campus for his "admitted student day," I'd like to find a hotel. Usually I like to use priceline, but I think we'll be flying in. Does anyone know if it would be safe and reasonable for me to use priceline or should I just pick a hotel near the campus. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:40 AM

Congrats to your son ( did not know decisions were out yet - I do alumni interviews for Brown and did not get my notification list yet)

There are no hotels "near campus" - depending on your definition of near. Brown is on a hill in an area that has small retail and bordering residential areas. All downtown Providence hotels are about 1/2-3/4 mile away - which may sound close but it is all uphill.

So Priceline might work. Downtown Providence is nice - unlike 30+ years ago when I was there when it was disgusting and dangerous.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM

Here's a radical idea: let your son go on his own! My daughter went alone three years ago, and she had a great time. She was quite nervous because of the obvious reasons, but it was the best thing for her. There will be transportation from Providence's airport to campus and back, and there is really nothing for parents to do except hover!
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM

As a former college dean, I like sueaaronson's idea a lot. We didn't do overnight stays for admitted students, but if Brown does, the sooner you both get used to his being on his own, the better, and this will be a pretty controlled situation.

If you have to be around because he hasn't traveled alone by plane or train or because you will need to deliver him by car, why not drop him off and go on to Newport or Boston or the Cape and treat yourself to a nice overnight? Pick him up the next day or the day after that.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM

Congrats! My ds graduated last May - a great four years. We have always had a car when visiting Brown. There aren't any hotels right near Brown, but there are taxis and car services. I agree with the above posts; you can deliver him and then leave for a day or two.