Hotels in UMD Vacinity

Search

Hotels in UMD Vacinity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in UMD Vacinity

Visiting UMD in a couple of weeks and would like a hotel in the area for my husband and I, also any good restaurants in the area??? Meeting our daughters there for a weekend tournament.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM

Hmmm,

University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Michigan-Dearborn?

Or U of Md. in College Park?

I'm sure there are more ...
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

University Of Maryland , College Park. Didn't know there were so many options. any infor appreciated
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

There's a big Marriott in Greenbelt that's not far.

Dining options in the area aren't great. Best chances for a good meal would be up to Baltimore or into DC. Close by, I'd say maybe Jackie's in Silver Spring or into Bethesda.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 01:11 PM

The Greenbelt area hotels may be a bit nicer but I would probably avoid the ones in College Park - just sort of trashy. If you are not tied to staying in CP area I would even consider staying in a better area like Bethesda or in DC and driving out or metro-ing to the tournament. You will get a better class of hotel and definitely better restaurants.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Well, I suppose it's to each his own, but I've never found the motels around UMD to be too bad. I used to stay regularly at the Holiday Inn right on US highway 1. That was a number of years ago, so maybe things have changed.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:28 PM

The disappointing thing about College Park is that this is a major university in a great metro area, but the CP neighborhood is almost completely devoid of anything resembling charm. If that's not a consideration, there are plenty of options.

If the OP is looking for mere convenience -- sometimes a good thing -- then the Holiday Inn on Hwy 1 is probably a decent choice -- but be forewarned that it sits almost on top of the Beltway. The good news is that you can step over to the IKEA next door for killer cinnamon rolls and coffee in the morning.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I stayed at a Ramada right on Rt 1 in College Park while my daughter attended orientation at UMD... it was just fine, for a quick weekend stay, and I would add that after 2 years of becoming familiar with this area, it has definitely grown on us. And our daughter loves it!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM

check www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:47 AM

True, College Park, MD is one of the ugliest college towns in America. I'm shocked their sporting teams can recruit players. Greenbelt is the best local place to get a hotel like the big Marriott just off the beltway. As for an eating establishment, Jerry's Seafood in my old hometown of Seabrook (ten minutes drive from Greenbelt) has received rave reviews for twenty years from the Washington restaurant critics. It is on Maryland Route 450. For very good Chinese, you might like Beijing's on Route 1 just south of Laurel. There's actually a pretty decent Mexican restaurant between College Park and Laurel on Route 1 but I forget it's name at the moment.