Hotels in San Francisco

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 04:54 AM
Deb

Hotels in San Francisco

My husband is on business in February (convention centre) and we have the choice of the following hotels: San Francisco Marriott, The Argent Hotel, The Fairmont Hotel, Hilton San Francisco & Towers, Villa Florence Hotel or The Westin St. Francis. Can anyone recommend which hotel? As the beginning of our trip is strictly pleasure (leaving children at home), we would really like to treat ourselves, ie., the best hotel. Thanks. P.S. The hotel doesn't necessarily have to be close to the convention centre.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 08:58 AM
elizabeth

Deb - there's a "Hosted Forum" going on right now on San Francisco - you might want to post your question there as well. Go to Travel Talk Home and follow the links.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Pete

Westin St. Francis is wonderful, but be sure to ask for a room in the original building not the tower annex. The older rooms are huge, with wonderful woodwork and great furniture. The new rooms are standard big hotel with run of the mill furniture, etc.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Ruth

The Fairmont is great--if they've finished the renovations (I think they were supposed to be done in September) and particularly if you can get a room with a view. It's on Nob Hill and has great views, from at least some of the rooms. A friend stayed at the Hilton and also had a room with a great view.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 11:23 AM
kam

The Fairmont is finished, I believe, at least the scaffolding is down. The St. Francis is classic SF and agree with a room in the older hotel preferably with a view over Union Square. Would not recommend the Hilton as I think it's a bit out of the best location. The Villa Florence is a top little hotel on Powell Street--very nice. The Marriott is another Marriott and I don't know the Argent. Also look at the Inn at Union Square and either the White Swan or the Petite Auberge if you really want small and European style. Know that you might experience some rain here in February but less crowded with tourists. If you like symphony or opera, try to book tickets ahead and reserve at top restaurants weeks in advance, even in February.